how much power

I do not have a good grip on amps. But i keep hearing about more power and more current !

I don't listen to music very loud... may be 75db at the most. The roomsize is 11 x 15. My speakers are Vienna Acoustics, Haydn Grand (4 ohm). Receiver is Denon 3311ci.

My question is really if i need need anything more than say 50 watts per channel ? Why ?

roxito
Rok2id,

Are you familiar with the unique design of the HK 990?

The unit's preamp section offers the kind of DSP that you would usually find only in a multi-channel AVR or pre-pro. (It has ADC, DAC, digital bass management, digital room EQ, etc.) Personally, I think it's an incredibly good idea, but it's definitely not the usual "audiophile approved" approach. I'd love to endorse it, but unfortunately, it's well nigh impossible to find one to audition and I've never heard one. However, if you listen primarily to digital sources, this thing has unique capabilities among 2 channel amps.

My point is that, the HK 990's power amp section, while a highly regarded design (see below) isn't really what PRIMARILY distinguishes this unit from the Parasound (or anything else, really).

That power amp section itself follows the Matti Otala Citation design principles established decades ago. Many people (me included) like the sound of these amps very much. A lot has been written about this clever design and a quick Google search (try "citation amp" or "Matti Otala amp design") will probably be educational for you. In the end, however, the overall "sound" of the HK990 will be much more influenced by the DSP in the preamp section - if you use it.

Good Luck.

Marty
It's not the amount of power but the quality of the power that matters.
You can find a lot of low watt amps that will better the sound of what you have.

It's been said, if the first few watts suck, why would you want more?

I find wattage highly over rated.

I went from 1000 watt mono blocks to a 2 watt amp and I never run out of power( 5 ohm, 90 db eff) or feel that it's underpowered.

There is as much sound in the room as before, and the bonus is that the sound improved with the lower watt amp.

I think your speakers are also not too power hungry, so don't limit your search to high power amps.
Lacee,
I used to drive Chevy Suburban, but now getting around with Toyota Camry. Camry in general is OK, however it will less-likely pull 25' Donzi on trailer.
I wouldn't try to pull much of anything with the Camry.
That's not what it's made for.

What I am talking about is that you only need brute force muscle amps if you are using speakers that demand such types of amplification.

For most moderate sized rooms and at normal listening levels, the first couple of watts(if they are good ones) are all you are using most of the time.

Lots of ink's been spilled on the need for massive amounts of reserve power for the times you need it, but really unless it's needed for sustained time frames(not instantaneous) you would be surprised by how few watts you are using to achieve decent sound levels.

It shouldn't be news to anyone that over the years most of the better sounding amps have been in the under 50 watt range,including a lot of the Pass designed class A amps.

I remember the 25 watt original Levinsons as being the poster boys of the 25 watters.

That was all the power you needed to drive the Quad 57's.

Using too much power was not good for the old Quads.

As long as you don't push a low wattage solid state amp into clipping,you should be fine with any of the better class A solid state designs.

Lower wattage PP tube amps around 35 watts have also been known to drive most speakers to adequate listening levels.

Not everyone needs high power amps to drive their speakers.
I don't.
My Ref 3A Grand Veenas sound great with a 2 watt DecWare Zen Select amp.
They also sounded no better or worse when I was using a pair of mono block power amps of a 1000 watts.

Like everything, you only need what you need, and most folks think they need too much.

I also know you don't bring a slingshot to a gun fight.

But each can be just as deadly when used in the right circumstances, ask Goliath.