Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand

I think there are at least a few of us fortunate enough to have had both the First Sound and Supratek preamps in our systems at various times, and in all fairness I should preface my remarks by saying it seems to be a split decision on which is "better." I recall reading somewhere in these forums--perhaps it was in this same thread, many chapters back--that one member definitely preferred the First Sound, and I believe he had the same iteration I had, which was the Presence Deluxe Mk2. While I very definitely admired the characterics of the First Sound, in the end I found that I preferred the Syrah, a judgment that comes with all the usual qualifiers (in my system, according to my listening preferences, etc.).

So my impressions, for whatever they're worth:

First of all, I thought the First Sound had absolutely stunning dynamics, jaw-dropping as the cliche goes, but an apt description of my reaction the first time I heard the unit. Another quality I admired was the First Sound's uncanny black background, much better in this regard than the Supratek (although I have found that if you are very patient, you can do wonders lowering the noise floor with the Supratek with various tweaks--isolation is really important, as are finding the right tubes, of course. My Syrah is quiet now, but still not as eerily quiet as the First Sound was).

On the other hand, and I guess this is where the battle will be joined, over time I just felt that there was something not quite right with the First Sound in my system. While I continued to be impressed with the slam and absolute clarity of the First Sound, I felt that the soundstage was somehow slightly more compressed than I would want from a tube preamp. Granted, I had solid state amps--Bel Canto EVO 200.2 monoblocks for awhile, and then a Plinius SA-102--and the issue may be entirely one of synergy. But I can also say that I traded notes with another owner of a First Sound--who also admired it--and he had pretty much the same take on it in his system. He eventually moved to a Joule preamp, and said the soundstage was much more layered, more holographic, with the Joule which is just how I felt when I moved over to the Supratek.

For me, the Supratek, properly matched, tweaked, and tubed, simply gets the music right more than any other preamp I have heard. It strikes the right balance between dynamics and slam, crossed with the liquidity and magic of tubes. I have lived with it for a couple of years now, and the only time I ever think of upgrading is when Mick comes out with his latest and greatest. But with two kids--including a newborn--I doubt I will be upgrading anything any time soon, unless it is my spending priorities. That's OK, though. As long as I have the Supratek around, I'll be happy as a clam.

If it is practical for you, I suggest you try both in your system and keep the one you like best. Should be a cinch to sell the runner-up. Was for me.

Walter, nice post. I would add that as good as the Syrah is, Mick's newer circuit designs have greatly enhanced the sound re-production.
The sound of a Supratek also keeps getting much better as you travel up the model line.
Rgds,
Larry
Sorry, it should be www.tron-electric.com. The new review is on http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/tron/syren.html
Thank you Walter and larry.
Walter, did you employ stock tubes on the First Sound and Supratek, or did you apply NOS to them?
Larry, you justly point out that sound quality rises along the Supratek lineup. According to Emmanuel Go this may also be a significant fact in the FS lineup.
Guidocorona,
Please do keep in mind that comparisons and expreriences along with associated opinions formed from earlier Supratek models have absolutely nothing to do with the value of the current models. I can tell you from owning an older Suprattek Pre and a current model that the newer models are just amazingly better (with no slight to the earlier models).
Rgds,
Larry