Yamaha A-S 1000 & 2000 --- How Good?

These have been well reviewed, but have not seen much from owners. Has some one had a chance to listen to the Yamaha versus gear from Accuphase, Luxman, McIntosh (or smaller integrateds from LFD, Lavardin, etc.) and other top flight integrated SS contenders. I expect it would be a very solid value, especially at street prices for the Yamaha gear, but how does it fair against some if top gear out there? Love the look as an added bonus (yup, in my early 50s). Some say with their R&D prowess that can make a great piece of gear if they set their mind to it - did they do it? (As an additional bit of info - should it matter - my speakers only need 30-40 watts or so, and are very easy loads for amps - tube friendly).
pubul57
I have the A-S2000 (black) for a year now. I'm using it with the Harbeth SHL-5. My previous amp was the Krell KAV300i for almost 10 years. I had both amps for a period of 4 months. I can confirm now my initial findings about this outstanding amp.
* Totally neutral. What is on the disk, what comes in, goes out unchanged, as it ment to be. Not "warm", not "analytical", not "bright", "laid back" or "forward". It all depends on the recording. All exposed, from garbage to ultra high end.
* Dead quiet. No pops, clicks, hiss or any kind of noises while working, or at turn on and off.
* Great output protection. Our expensive speakers deserve it. (I have tried it on purpose).
* It is fully balanced from input to output. That means four amps in one box! Fully balanced amps for home use are only a few from high-end brand names and always very expensive. Considering the built quality of the A-S2000 and the asking price, it is one of the great bargains ever...
* It is built like a tank, it has defetable tone controls, phono, headphone out, it comes with a real instructions manual (a book) and finally, I can see (and hear) my money on it.
What else can a music lover ask? I totally forgot about "what amp?", tubes, s state, matcing cables and all that. I know, this is not good for the hobby, but I like it a lot those days!
Takisjk is attempting to lead you out of the wilderness. Like me, he has found that obtaining a very good, user-friendly integrated amplifier with full features, reasonable pricing and a monstrously stable manufacturing source can set you free from the audio quest.

Accepting that you have what you need and then forgetting about the chance that there may be some minuscule performance distinction separating you from nirvana is all the tweak you need. No amount of financial investment can overcome dissatisfaction. If you always want more, contentment will continue to elude you.

The most effective tweak available - and the cheapest - is to simply alter your thinking. Perception is reality in matters such as this.
You are right, but the hobby is about fixating on minuscule difference and diminishing returns - you are describing people with normal attitudes towards listening to music at home. I suspect if I had the Yamaha in front of me and a Luxman 590 and was told to pick one......
Pubul57 - Your selection would depend on which sensory function you used to establish preference. Your eyes, your ears, your ego or your inner accountant might all direct you toward one of those two products or the other. I might prefer the Accuphase myself on some basis but I do not intend to ever test that preference. Due to web chatter I'm inclined to think that the 590 is somehow better - reputation carries a lot of weight - but I have the Yamaha already and it requires much less of my money than arguable alternatives so, for me, the status quo will prevail.
The Yamaha A-S2000 is a really nice piece. I can't testify that it is the nicest but I have owned several Rowland Concentras and this Yamaha holds its own in that company. N.B. - I have not compared them side by side.
I also owned a Krell integrated several years ago that wouldn't hold a candle to either of them in sound or build quality.
All I'm getting at, I guess, is that choosing your parameters might be a lot more important than choosing your product.
At the current prices available for the A-S2000 if you can fine one I would snap it up. The best built and sounding amp at it's current price by a landslide. A real audiophile amp that compares impressively with the snobbiest small brands. Don't let your ego waste your money. Buy the Yammy and spend the rest on speakers.