Yamaha A-S 1000 & 2000 --- How Good?

These have been well reviewed, but have not seen much from owners. Has some one had a chance to listen to the Yamaha versus gear from Accuphase, Luxman, McIntosh (or smaller integrateds from LFD, Lavardin, etc.) and other top flight integrated SS contenders. I expect it would be a very solid value, especially at street prices for the Yamaha gear, but how does it fair against some if top gear out there? Love the look as an added bonus (yup, in my early 50s). Some say with their R&D prowess that can make a great piece of gear if they set their mind to it - did they do it? (As an additional bit of info - should it matter - my speakers only need 30-40 watts or so, and are very easy loads for amps - tube friendly).
pubul57

Showing 7 responses by macrojack

I'm also using an A-S2000. I replaced a Parasound JC-2, XTA 224, Rawson clone Aleph J mini, and a Parasound A-23 by having passive crossovers made for my speakers and substituting the Yamaha integrated. Not only did I not experience any drop off in performance but I actually find I like the new arrangement much better in every way.

As a bonus I received a terrific phono section and a separate headphone amplifier all in the one box.

When Yamaha decided back in 1975 to enter the U.S. hifi market, they ignored the watts per dollar race then going on among Japanese manufacturers and offered instead a lineup of products that were very much superior in build quality and, hence, better sounding than the leaders at the time. Many of those products are still much sought after 35 years later.

Now it appears that Yamaha has once again decided to carve out a niche and they are doing so in style with a lineup that once again defies the current standards for pricing and performance. On top of that, the clever ones amongst you may discover a vendor in the U.S. who is selling the A-S2000 new in box for $1200. There can't be any way to beat that deal legally.
I already bought a silver one. It cost me $1199.99 plus 3% for using my credit card and about $50 shipping. The total was approximately $1287.

The source I bought from was advertising on Audiogon. That's how I found them. The ad was still there yesterday.
I was a brave boy. I waded right in and bought my A-S2000 without a reviewer holding my hand. So far, I feel like I got away with it.

Of course, I did take a lot of encouragement from that sale price. Get it while you can. Surely it can't go on forever like this.
Mapman - You are confusing brave with stupid.

In any case, I was being sarcastic because I realize now that anyone who has a use for this amp should buy it without hesitation. Whether or not it surpasses other options in performance, it romps all over anything in the area of value. Check it out here on Audiogon.
While never having seen or heard of your amp, I will say that the A-S2000 is likely to outperform your current Yamaha by a wide margin.

The risk of disappointment in this case is minute.
Takisjk is attempting to lead you out of the wilderness. Like me, he has found that obtaining a very good, user-friendly integrated amplifier with full features, reasonable pricing and a monstrously stable manufacturing source can set you free from the audio quest.

Accepting that you have what you need and then forgetting about the chance that there may be some minuscule performance distinction separating you from nirvana is all the tweak you need. No amount of financial investment can overcome dissatisfaction. If you always want more, contentment will continue to elude you.

The most effective tweak available - and the cheapest - is to simply alter your thinking. Perception is reality in matters such as this.
Pubul57 - Your selection would depend on which sensory function you used to establish preference. Your eyes, your ears, your ego or your inner accountant might all direct you toward one of those two products or the other. I might prefer the Accuphase myself on some basis but I do not intend to ever test that preference. Due to web chatter I'm inclined to think that the 590 is somehow better - reputation carries a lot of weight - but I have the Yamaha already and it requires much less of my money than arguable alternatives so, for me, the status quo will prevail.
The Yamaha A-S2000 is a really nice piece. I can't testify that it is the nicest but I have owned several Rowland Concentras and this Yamaha holds its own in that company. N.B. - I have not compared them side by side.
I also owned a Krell integrated several years ago that wouldn't hold a candle to either of them in sound or build quality.
All I'm getting at, I guess, is that choosing your parameters might be a lot more important than choosing your product.