Yamaha A-S 1000 & 2000 --- How Good?

These have been well reviewed, but have not seen much from owners. Has some one had a chance to listen to the Yamaha versus gear from Accuphase, Luxman, McIntosh (or smaller integrateds from LFD, Lavardin, etc.) and other top flight integrated SS contenders. I expect it would be a very solid value, especially at street prices for the Yamaha gear, but how does it fair against some if top gear out there? Love the look as an added bonus (yup, in my early 50s). Some say with their R&D prowess that can make a great piece of gear if they set their mind to it - did they do it? (As an additional bit of info - should it matter - my speakers only need 30-40 watts or so, and are very easy loads for amps - tube friendly).
pubul57

Showing 8 responses by pubul57

That is a very impressive array of integrated and very much in line with what I am looking to compare the Yamaha too. Could you say a bit more about the Yamaha versis the Mac - a 6600 is also an integrated I am considering, but the price is significantly higher.
Encouraging! If it can compete with Mac, Sim, Parasound, and the great Aleph J (though a clone)- that would be pretty impressive given the build quality, appearance, and street price. Has anyone compared the 1000 versus 2000? Is it just fewer watts, or more going on there - other than balanced input.
I don't know. Similar power and current. I don't think you would be dissapointed in the quality of the AS-2000, but I would be suprised if it were an "wide margin" difference where you would easily know the difference in an A/B listening session at the same volumes. Only one to find out.

Danoroo, what are you looking for from a change in amplifier?
I don't there is a difference, what I caution is against hyperbole which makes minor difference seem monumental. I've seen seasoned audiophile who could not consistent determine if a 30 watt tube amp or a 200 watt SS amp was playing - no two amps could be more different, and yet. Not saying the AS-2000 is not a better amp, but I find claims that one piece will blow away another piece is almost always, well. overblown. It is a beautiful amp though and worth having on those grounds alone assume decent performance, which reviewers seem to agree is pretty darn good - I just would not expect transformations from night to day.
"The audible differences are less pronounced between the cd players (1000 and 2000) however, as I could not detect anything difference worth mentioning." It is interesting how often I find this to be the case with CD players by any given manufacturer - pro reviewers have been saying much the same thing as well with these two Yamaha CD players.
You are right, but the hobby is about fixating on minuscule difference and diminishing returns - you are describing people with normal attitudes towards listening to music at home. I suspect if I had the Yamaha in front of me and a Luxman 590 and was told to pick one......