ARC REF 110 owners

All those with extensive experience with the above mentioned amp, what do you think about the timbre reproduction ie piano, voice, up right bass etc? How long did the amp take, in terms of total hours, did it take to sound its best.
ff116
Ff116...I have owned the Ref 110 for the past 4-5 years (paired up with Ref 3 and Ref CD7). If there is one strong suit of the Ref 110 is its natural and realistic reproduction of vocal and instrumental timbres. That's one of the main things that drew me to it. It took about a few hundred hours to break-in and sound its best (not like the current model ARC amps/preamps which have the big caps in there which need more like 600 hrs to break in). Did you just buy a used Ref 110? If so, what preamp will you be using? How about speakers?
I'm using an ARC REF 3, my speakers are Wilson W/P 8. Yes, I purchased the amp new. It was one of the last few 110s produced, it also came with the kt 120 tubes. It has about 100 hours on it currently, however some instruments sound a little off, further middle to lower midrange seems a tad anemic
FF116...give it some more time to break-in but one of the issues could be the amp-speaker match. The WP-8's impedance dips below 4 ohms between 20 and 40 Hz and between 60 and what looks like 120-130Hz on the impedance curve, reaching a low of 2.2ohm at 77Hz, causing it to be a very tough load on the partnering amp in the lower bass region and in the upper bass region. What you might be hearing is a bit of leanness in the the upper bass region because the Ref 110 is finding it tough delivering enough current in that 70-100 Hz range. Here is a link to the WP-8's measurement section in the Sterophile review: http://www.stereophile.com/content/wilson-audio-specialties-wattpuppy-system-8-loudspeaker-measurements

Here is a link to the Impedance and Phase curve across the frequency spectrum that shows the dips mentioned above: http://www.stereophile.com/images/archivesart/607WILFIG03.jpg

JA summs up his measurement section with the following quote:

It is definitely a difficult load for an amplifier to drive, which leaves me puzzled as to why Wes had no problems driving it with the tubed Cayin amplifier. The Wilson did sound superb driven by Ayre MX-R monoblocks on both of the occasions I listened seriously to it in Wes's room, but its idiosyncratic low-frequency behavior compared with more conventional designs will make matching it to the listening room tricky—a task best left to the Wilson-trained dealer who will be installing the WATT/Puppy 8s in the customer's room.

You may want to give both Wilson and Audio Research a call and ask them both about the amp/speaker match and what you are hearing. My guess is as the amp breaks in a bit further you will get better bottom-end heft which may add some weight and texture to the currently anemic presentation you are getting for certain instruments but I would certainly get Wilson and ARC's take on this as well. By the way, my speakers (Thiel 2.4s) are a tougher load than your WP-8s and I do not experience any "leanness" in the sonic presentation across the frequency spectrum, so hopefully it is just a break-in issue and the botton-end heft will fill out and add some weight and texture to the presentation.

Good luck.