Onix A-120MKII Gets hot fast.

Hey All,

Need some advice on what to do with this integrated amp. When I turn it up and I don't mean wall shaking loud it gets very hot to touch after one CD and then the protection shuts her down. I am pushing PSB 6T's. I think have it bi-wired correctly and it doesn't do this with headphones. What's up Goners? THX
javajones
I'm not familiar with your speakers but it sounds like your amp is going into protect mode. Reading a review here
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue20/onyxrs550.htm

they had some problems driving Theil 2.2's. It may just be reaching it's power limit? A higher current amp may be necessary? Someone else may be more familiar with your speakers and know for sure? Remember the watt rating of your amp is not really important. It's the current it can provide to the speakers that's important. "amps power supply"
Did it just start doing this? How old is the integrated amp? How old are your speakers?
Thanks for responding. Not real sure about the age of the amp. I picked it up in March from Audiogon. My guess is 10 years. The speakers are about 12 years. It has run very warm since I got it and the problem has been happening the whole time. It's fine at normal levels, just very warm to touch. I have no idea how to check the current.