Onix A-120MKII Gets hot fast.

Hey All,

Need some advice on what to do with this integrated amp. When I turn it up and I don't mean wall shaking loud it gets very hot to touch after one CD and then the protection shuts her down. I am pushing PSB 6T's. I think have it bi-wired correctly and it doesn't do this with headphones. What's up Goners? THX
javajones

Showing 7 responses by javajones

Speaker wire is just some old bi-wire no name stuff with thicks and thins for each side. Rather stiff. I have thought these old wires might be the cause, too much resistance but I don't know. Never a problem with the old Rotel so I didn't buy new wires to see. The amp does sound bass heavy at lower volume. Kicks butt when I turn it up.
Thanks for responding. Not real sure about the age of the amp. I picked it up in March from Audiogon. My guess is 10 years. The speakers are about 12 years. It has run very warm since I got it and the problem has been happening the whole time. It's fine at normal levels, just very warm to touch. I have no idea how to check the current.
Hello,

It sits open with a cable box and cd player on top. I am more attached to the speakers then this unit so I may start shopping for a replacement. Only paid $400 for it so it's not a huge deal. I may look around here for a shop to check it out, depending on the price. It replaced a finally dead 25 yo Rotel RA-870 60w integrated that never clipped and sounded better for a pedestrian amp from the 80's. I'd bet the Onix would sing with the right speakers. THX!
Hello,

This problem of stacking will be fixed asap. I live in SWFL so it's very warm inside because I don't mind the heat all that much. I keep the AC around 82 for me which may be too hot for a hot running amp. As far as 8 to 4 ohms there isn't much I can do with this unit. I sure appreciate all the advice folks. JJones
Well-

There are now four inches clearance on the bottom and eight inches above the amp so we shall see if it can stay cool. Can't turn her up unless I am home when the crabby old lady across the street isn't. Not a SRV fan.
She still runs pretty hot but hasn't shut down yet. Sounds a bit better with the digital units further away from the amp. I may now keep this thing for a while longer. Thanks very much for all the help! JJones