Modern Linestages

This is a general question about how complex and expensive some linestages have become. I'm looking to understand why? I can grasp that really good volume controls are complicated and that equally good switches are not inexpensive. I also have a general understanding of the importance of a high quality power supply, which again is not going to come cheap. I just don't comprehend how you get to a 50lbs. plus preamps that cost well over $20k. Is this level of complexity really needed or is it the equivalent of the spate of 500hp "sedans" for every day driving?
128x128onhwy61
Pubul57 , In the old days or golden era as I refer to it.Very few good sounding components also looked good.In fact some not only didn't appeal to the eye the construction was also shabby.Yet,they still sounded good.At least I thought they sounded good but then again I was new to this hobby.
Over time the WAF forced designers to consider better cosmetics.I agree that many of todays components are overdone and that the added value does not warrant the new retail prices but as you stated we are all free to buy or not.
You have a very nice system,Enjoy it.
Onhwy57,
Naturally all products are marketed with consideration to cost.What I was referring to was that there are no strict norms as to mark-up.All products will sell for whatever the market will bear.It is for the consumer to say yea or nay
Naturally all products are marketed with consideration to cost.What I was referring to was that there are no strict norms as to mark-up.All products will sell for whatever the market will bear.

This statement is just not supported by the facts of this industry. Believe it or not, its rather competitive so if someone comes out with an over-priced product they may have troubles selling it. As a result most manufacturers stick to a fairly simple markup formula.
Do you buy into the "urban legend" that some folks mark up the price higher because selling at a reasonable markup, but lower price point, would result in audiophile dismissing the quality of the product?

This may occur in other industries as well, but it seems many believe it to be true in this one. Yes, it must be a competitive market, but you also have to worry about being "too" cheap to be taken seriously as a countervailing pressure.
Lately I've been dividing my attention between Irene and this thread. One is a phenomena that is wreaking havoc, upsetting people and causing a lot of anxiety. The other is a hurricane.
LOL- Great adaptation of the classic lawyer joke!