Two physical grounds??

Due to construction issues the only way to ground my line conditioner is by instaling a dedicated ground rod for it (i.e. the house outlets are of type that accept a 2 prong plug). This dedicated ground rod for the line conditioner will be about 16 feet away from the ground rod for the electrical wiring for my house. By doing this would I get into trouble regarding a "ground loop".
tiofelon
Thank you all for your responses! As some of you guessed right the house is very old with just 2 prong sockets (ungrounded). However, I know that there is a ground bar at the fuse box which would be very difficult to fish in order to tie the two ground bars togheter. Tjtrout20 suggestion seems to be the way to go. Thanks again!
The solution is easy provided you have a metal outlet box. Simply buy a 3-pronged outlet and a package of green ground wires (pre-looped, and with green screws, called 'Equipment Bonding Jumpers'). Remove one of the old two-prongers where you want to install the PC. Install the new grounded outlet to the white/black wires and install the green ground wire to the ground screw of the outlet. At the other end of the green ground wire, screw it to the metal box with the green ground screw. Push the wires back in the box and attach the outlet to the box. You now have a grounded outlet.
Gs5556,

Metal boxes were used with old 2 wire NM sheathed cable. The metallic box is floating..... Even in the case of old BX the conductivity continuity of the armor/connectors would be poor at best.
Jim
With all due respect Gs556 should not be giving electrical advice.

"The solution is easy provided you have a metal outlet box. Simply buy a 3-pronged outlet and a package of green ground wires (pre-looped, and with green screws, called 'Equipment Bonding Jumpers'). Remove one of the old two-prongers where you want to install the PC. Install the new grounded outlet to the white/black wires and install the green ground wire to the ground screw of the outlet. At the other end of the green ground wire, screw it to the metal box with the green ground screw. Push the wires back in the box and attach the outlet to the box. You now have a grounded outlet."

No… you now have an ungrounded circuit terminating to a grounded outlet. The exact same as a two wire ungrounded outlets but now not compliant with the National Electrical Code or most International Codes.
T. J.
Try running a #14 awg to the outlet that your power conditioner is using, to a cold water pipe and clamp off to that.
07-07-11: Tjtrout20
Tjtrout20,

No longer an NEC approved method. Not since 1996 I believe. Too many plumbers were getting shocked or electrocuted.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This dedicated ground rod for the line conditioner will be about 16 feet away from the ground rod for the electrical wiring for my house.
07-07-11: Tiofelon

Tiofelon,

The dedicated ground rod is a bad idea as others have pointed out. Will not meet NEC code either.....

What NEC will allow for old 2 wire ungrounded receptacle/ branch circuit is to install a new equipment ground wire and connect it to the existing main electrical grounding system, (Grounding Electrode System), of the house.

Look at running a ground wire along the exterior of the house and connect it to the ground wire that comes from the house to the existing ground rod. Use an approved wire connector such as a split bolt. DO NOT cut the main ground wire that runs to the existing ground rod......

You might also be able to run the new ground wire back into the house and connect it to the ground bar you spoke of in a later post.

Wire must be protected from physical damage. Support often.
If it were me I would use a solid #10 awg copper wire.

It would really be best to hire a licensed electrician to do the job......

Method for grounding a non grounded receptacle/branch circuit.
NEC 2008 250.130 (C)

Local code (AHJ) has the final say.