Replacing The Stock EH 6SN7 Tubes For Cary SLP 05

Hi

I run a Cary SLP 05 in the following setup

Cary Audio SLP-05 Preamp > Krell FPB 200 c Power Amp > Dynaudio Contour S3.4 Speakers

The Cary SLP 05 gives me that "live" atmosphere and soundstaging but I find that brass and horn instruments are still on the bright and harsh side with the stock tubes. It could be the Krell power amp. As such I thought of tube rolling and trying out some 6SN7's to hopefully give me more warmth and I guess a more euphonic and traditional tube sound. I will look towards replacing Tube Nos. 3 and 6 or the balanced buffer tubes first, retaining the stock EH 6SN7's elsewhere.

My shortlist follows below. Your opinions on how these tubes may sound in the Cary SLP 05 vis-a-vis each other is much appreciated.
mikey8811
So which tubes does the SLP-05 not use in single-ended mode? The review in Stereophile stated that it does not use tubes 5&6, which is obviously an error. Mikey and/or Jtran plese help.
I have a Cary SLP 98P and I've never tried NOS tubes before. I just ordered NOS RCA tubes, replacing all of the chinese stock tubes that came with the 98P. I also ordered NOS tubes for my 300B tube amp. I'm looking forward to my first experience with NOS tubes. My system sounds a tad harsh now. Dealt with Andy at Vintage Tube.
I also own the SLP05 preamp and have nos tube rolled extensively through the years I have owned it. The best, by a good margin, are the Pope Holland 6SN7GT tubes from the 50's. I happened on 6 of these and in my system, the difference is incredable
I would highly recommend the Sophia Electric if you DON'T want euphonic, warm but DO want balanced, accurate top to bottom sound with superb placement, staging and dynamic capabilities, I suspect due to the careful matching that you are paying for. The dynamics with this tube was quite a revelation to me in my Supratek Syrah pre-amp. These are the best I have heard and while not cheap at 200.00 a pair they are better than any of the NOS I have heard and own. I would also consider Ahendler's and the RCA GTA, GTB's at less cost. I haven't heard the Tung Sol round plates but am familiar with most of the above recommendations, my very favorite being the Sylvania brown base but these are certainly not equal to the Sophias IMHO. I have been touting these tubes since I purchased them a few months back and while there was initially a bit of harshness the stunning balance was evident right from the get go. They have now smoothed out and the highs are absolutely exquisite, no harshness but extended and airy.

Of ALL the tubes mentioned above, I would stay clear of the Ken-Rad black glass VT-231 unless you are looking for euphonic, inaccurate and for a lack of better description, phasey sound that seemingly expands the soundstage but to my ears is the worst 6sn7 I have personally heard. For the life of me I don't understand why this tube is ever in the conversation. I have a pair that test almost new, no gas emissions, shorts or any other issues that would explain to me why they might sound as they do, oh well, different strokes I suppose.
Hi

Just an update.

I have tried using the RCA 6SN7 GT Grey Glass in the balanced input buffer positions with a quad of the stock EH in the positive and negative, left and right gain positions. This made the treble warmer and filled out the midrange - but probably a wee bit too much as some vocals got a bit chesty. I am guessing if I used RCA's all throughout it may be too much of a good thing. Using the stock EH in the balanced input buffer postions and a quad of RCA 6SN7 GT Grey Glass in the positive and negative, left and right gain positions did not do much to tame the bright treble - I am guessing the phase gain positions do not have as much of an impact as the balanced input positions(?).

I am trying to get a quad of early Sylvania 6SN7 GT's which are Chrome Domes but of the same construction as the 6SN7W's with black plates - has anyone heard these and how do you think they will sound with the RCA's in the balanced input buffer?