Price for ARC PH3 SE and PH5

Intend to buy a phono preamp. What is reasonable to pay for these stages? Any other stages that are better bang?
arenakbt
Post removed 
I can't answer the second question (how they compare to other offerings in that price range), but the first question is easy to answer: Look at the Audiogon Bluebook for typical pricing and trends for virtually any product. Also, follow the ads for a few months and see how they typically run, and how long they take to sell. That will give you an idea of the market.

Michael
I think I would be more conserned with the difference in comparing the sonics of both...Sometimes the older desings are better than the newer ones...Its not always about the used prices....Make sure you do your homework on the Sonics of each piece. ( along with cost ) ...Good luck with your decision........

What ever you pay it's going to be worth it ... I am sitting here enjoying my PH3 SE and even though I have put a bit extra into tubes, I couldnt be happier. So brings a good point; a pair of 6922's can run anywhere from $10 to several hundred, so there is more to it than just the price of the phono stage. I was lucky ... I spent 2-3 months looking and figured about what the average price was and then pulled the trigger. The tubes that where in it where spent and not very high quality to start with. The sound was "not that great" I put a new pair of JJ gold pins and it was like night and day. Then I scored a pair of Amprex NOS 6922's at what I thought was a fair price and I hit the sound I was looking for.

I think I have about $1700 into it all said and done with. I added a good after marker power cable, two sets of tubes and tube dampers. Was it aveage ... who knows. I figure the blue book doesnt really tell the whole story. Am I happy with my purchase?

You bet ... in fact today is my birthday and I chose to stay home and listen to music all afternoon. It was supposed to rain - but the sun came out. I'm having a glass of beer and listening to Elton John. I'd wager there are people out there who would pay $1700 to feel this good.

Next up ... The Allman Brothers - Live at the Fillmore East. Good luck and I hope you score a great phono stage.

Cheers everyone !

The new issue of Tone Audio has a review of the new ARC PH6, but he also has on hand a PH3SE and a PH5 to compare with the PH6. It's a very well done review.

I have both a PH3 and a PH3SE and both are superb. I agree that tube selection is pretty important with these units.