Magnepan 1.7 too bright, HELP

I just bought a used 6 month old Magnepan 1.7 and hooked them to my old system, which consists on a Deonon 2900 Universal player, Emotiva USP Preamp and Rotel 1080 power amp and use anticables for speaker connections, and monster cables for interconnects.

The sound is too bright for me, I used the provide 1 ohm resisters, still too bright, any recommendations.
bnrimal
Good mods. I'd do it a little different...not necessarily better, but different.

Just 2 examples::
I won't use a rigid, mechanical, bridgework style stand for my panels. Living, breating wood is where I'll head, and as light and rigid as I can design. Minimum metal. I'm designing them in Google Sketchup for construction in a wood working class.

Inductors? Since my 1.6s have only ONE, I'll wind it myself using simple 14ga wire and a form made from standard PVC sizes. My design has the same number of layers as turns per layer, so the coil itself is square in cross section and the entire coil is just over 4" in diameter.

Capacitors? The worlds SECOND largest can of worms! Followed, perhaps, only by the 'bypass or NOT' discussion. I don't have deep pockets and may have to compromise with a cap from the Clarity line....SA, maybe. The stock Solen caps are good value, but easily bested.

#1 priority? Enjoy.
I would change the denon first and spend as much as you can as this is your main source then change the pre which I have had and buy a tube pre which will open up everything from a good source then the amp and the maggies will sing.
For what it is worth, I tried the Grant Fidelity tube buffer between a Azur 640 CD player and a McIntosh MA6300 integrated amp driving a double stack of Large Advents. Could not tell a difference.
Yeah, I think it all depends on the system synergy. I've become a total advocate for tube-pre, and ss amp. For instance, my office system is a Cambridge Soundworks Model 12 for amp and sub, with Gallo A'Divas for the speakers. It was very involving, but a bit too revealing for my taste.

I added the 283 tube buffer, and all I can say is that the sound is so satisfying now, that this will likely be my permanent office setup.

I bought the 283 MKII for my main system, and I've done an A/B comparison, and for my system it works wonders. I'm actually about to order the new $300 tubes from Psvane for it.

Having said that...once I buy a new preamp and class D amps for the main system, it may no longer make enough difference. Time will tell. :-)

Mot