Audio Research Reference Linestages

Just want to hear if anyone else have a similar experience that I do.
Some 8 years ago I bought my first ARC Ref linestage.
It was Ref2 mk2, which I first enjoyed very much, but soon I found the bass to be to close in the soundstage and the treble too far away which never allowed the soundstage to get really homogenous and create the real music event.
When comparing with a Conrad Johnson LS17 it was very easy to hear that Ref2 mk2 had some issues with it's soundstage.
But I'm a fan of ARC's high energy "big" sound so I bought a used Ref One (later model with Infinicaps and detachable powercord), and it easily beat Ref2 mk2 in every way.
There I had the perfect soundstage with great dynamics.
It simply sounded more complete and homogenous than Ref2 mk2. Still not the last air in the highest treble that C-J LS17 have, but the rest was much better with Ref One.
Recently I tried to replace my Ref One with Ref 3, but after 3 months I gave up.
I found Ref3 to lack dynamics and the perfect soundstage of my Ref One. It simply sounded less involving and a bit lame compared to my Ref One.

Anyone else that have kept their Ref One simply because the find it to sound better than later ARC Ref linestages ?
flex2
In my experience the Ref 3 was a total departure from the previous Ref series which I frankly found underwhelming except in comparison to ARC's own offerings down the food chain. The Ref 3 is (and I presume the Ref 5 as well) a world class preamp due to it's musicality, depth and width of sound field, instrument detail and correctness of timbre and remarkable black background.
Hi Flex2,

What I liked the Ref 1 is,the speed,transient,mirco dynamic,and the truthness of the acoustic / vocal as well as the way it presence the soundstage,almsot you can fell & touch,extremely vivid and lifelike,of cource,associated equipments is inportant.

The Ref 1 let me remember the CELLO Audio Suite pre amp,still one of the top notch pre amp in the world,I have owned different version of Cello Audio Suite before I got married,the Ref 1 has almost the most vitus of the Audio Suite,believed it or not.

The Ref 1 is not for everyone,hence I guessed ARC need to change and tune their sound from time to time for market strategy in order to get most of the customer in all over the world,this happened as Wilson speaker,I have owned many version of Watt / Puppy series,they changed too.

I don't agreed because of price different of Ref 1 & 5,I agreed with your comments on that,I'm will to pay for the price of Ref5,eventually I liked the Ref1 the most.

For the time of searching the Ref1,I have quite a hard time for it,will post my experience later.

I'm happy we have satisfied user of ARC Reference 1 pre amp here,plerase share more :)
Hi Flex2,

What I liked the Ref 1 is,the speed,transient,mirco dynamic,and the truthness of the acoustic / vocal as well as the way it presence the soundstage,almsot you can fell & touch,extremely vivid and lifelike,of cource,associated equipments is inportant.

The Ref 1 let me remember the CELLO Audio Suite pre amp,still one of the top notch pre amp in the world,I have owned different version of Cello Audio Suite before I got married,the Ref 1 has almost the most vitus of the Audio Suite,believed it or not.

The Ref 1 is not for everyone,hence I guessed ARC need to change and tune their sound from time to time for market strategy in order to get most of the customer in all over the world,this happened as Wilson speaker,I have owned many version of Watt / Puppy series,they changed too.

I don't agreed because of price different of Ref 1 & 5,I agreed with your comments on that,I'm will to pay for the price of Ref5,eventually I liked the Ref1 the most.

For the time of searching the Ref1,I have quite a hard time for it,will post my experience later.

I'm happy we have satisfied user of ARC Reference 1 pre amp here,plerase share more :)
As compare with 5 & 1,the 5 has all the vitus of 1 but a little colored which made the sound bolder / heavier than the Ref 1,the image is too large for me, the top end is not as detail as Ref 1,one thing it truly beat the Ref 1 is the noise floor,others the Ref 1's sound extremely balanced to me.

The 5 is better performance in classical music than the 1,my music do not have classical / symphony preference.
It is true that the Ref 1 is hard to find for the latest version,I bought 4 different version of Ref 1,they sound completely different !

The conclusion that I made for the above is based on the latest version,the Ref 5 returns my friend home after the searching:)