Why Not More Conversation about VAC?

As I browse Audiogon's posts...I'm constantly amazed at the lack of attention, questions, remarks about VAC, (Valve Amplification Company).
First and foremost, I'm thinking that most if not all of us are music lovers--and I'm not aware, subjectively, of course, of more, just out and out, musical sounding electronics. And, I don't mean that in a perjorative, 'colored' sense...I mean that in the most flattering sense.
The lack of comments may mean nothing, but it just strikes me as 'absent' from good discussions.
Second, and beyond the stellar sound, if you want great gear, and a great person to buy it from, who better in terms of accommodation, knowledge and service than Kevin Hayes. Like the Bobster (Palkovic) his reputation for building first rate stuff and then backing it to the hilt is unsurpassed.

Kevin is also a great guy AND music lover of the first order...a friend too, but I'm not shilling here, just seriously wondering why VAC isn't further up the discussion ladder.

Kinda like reading Motor Trend Magazine, in which they 'Test Drive' a Mustang in EVERY ISSUE!!!

Just wondering.

Larry
lrsky
Would be nice to have the 450 Statement monos. Doesn't get better than that...I'd settle for a 450S or even just one more 300.1a.

Dev, I put in some back up Russian (new) tubes that were sent to me by Keith Herron for my VTPH-2 phono preamp, which is utterly silent and amazing as a phono preamp. Makes me wonder how great his VTSP-3a preamp must be.

System is:
- Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with Graham Phantom Supreme tonearm and Benz LP-S cartridge to Herron via Tara Labs Zero GX phono cable. Second arm = Schick 12" with Miyajima Premium BE mono cartridge
- Second table is Atma Sphere 208 (modified Empire) table with Triplanar VII ii arm and Soundsmith Ebony Voice cartridge (into VAC phono section MM)
- Modwright 5400es sacd/cd player
- PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC and Bridge
- Audience AR12 conditioner and power chords "e"
- mix of Harmonic Technology, Silkworm+ and Cardas GR cables
- Just replaced Esoteric MG20 speakers with Magnepan 3.7s
- Velodyne DD15+ subwoofer
- various isolation devices (e.g., Symposium ultra platforms)
BTW, the tubes I put in the VAC 300.1a are the ken-rad vt 231 black glass. Like them a lot.
With my Bryston's I'm content,unless like JWM says win the
lotto.
I was shocked that I could even get the pre(used).
All in all,in the comfort zone,now it's gonna take some time
reading up on tubes,she never ends.
Podeschi, have you done any comparisons between your VTPH-2 phono preamp and the VAC's built-in?

Yes I agree it doesn't get better having the Sig. MK2a pre paired up with the Statement 450 mono blocks, I'm very fortuante to own both which has finally gotten me off the merry-go-round. I have owned the pre-amp for approx a years time and kept searching for what I felt was the ideal amps paired up and once I heard the 450's earlier this year it was a no brainer.

I'm logging in hours, at least 500 on the amps prior to starting my comparisons in relation to phono stages, my pre also having one built-in.

My system;

- MBL 101E speakers
- VAC Sig. MK2a pre w/phono
- Vac Statement 450 mono blocks
- TW Acustic Black Knight table
- Minus K platform(custom made)table sits ontop
- Various arms and carts
- 2- Torus RM20 units which everything is plugged into, once my amps have logged in the 500 hours I will do some comparisions which include unplugging them from such to see.
- Stealth Audio cables through out

I owned the MBL 1621a transport (absolutely amazing) and had it paired up with a AA Ref Tube dac (another amazing pce) but unfortuantly preferred my vinyl set-up by far and these pces just sat around unused so I sold them. I will replace them with something down the road so I can listen to my nice collection of cd's but for now in no hurry.

I have some very nice premium matched pairs of tubes that I was using in this dac so I'll be trying them in my phono section and see.

Drummermitchell,

yes I agree the 28's paired up with the Vac pre really works nicely.

... but that being said your jaw will drop upon hearing your Vac pre paired up with these 450 amps.

Areas that I felt would be the 28's strengths or any top notch solid state amps that I had in my system which ended up not being so which totally surprised me once I heard the 450's were;

1. Floor noise, in comparison the 450's are substantually lower, anyone who has experienced this knows the over all benefits and effects of such.

2. Base in all areas, in comparision the 450's are far superior, control, deep base along with substance, more realistic which just leaves you shaking your head wondering how the heck can these tube amps do this compared to say the 1000 watt solid state amps.

3. Micro and macro dynamics, very nice indeed, no comparision.

Individules who already use tube amps know of their strengths and why they preffer using such, with these 450's you get all of this and then some, absolutely amazing.
Dev,
Yes, I've compared the Herron to my VAC, the Fosgate Signature, etc in my system, and in other's systems as well. There is something about the organic transparency and timing of the VTPH-2 that I have yet to find in any phono preamp. It works perfectly for my ears. The MC section is particularly strong in the VTPH, preferring it to even really good SUTs going into MM on VAC or Herron. BTW, I was getting ready to box and store my redbook CDs until I bought the Modwright 5400es. I had listened to/auditioned 10k+ cd players and nothing approached the natural timber and soundstage of vinyl until I heard the Modwright. Ordinary redbook CDs are unbelievable, as are SACDs (a bit wider of a soundstage)....Some redbook CDs beat vinyl in listenability (e.g., dynamics and noise floor).