Musical Fidelity A5, Simaudio I-5 or Krell s300i

I posted a few days ago and I think I ended up answering my own question. I'm in the market for an integrated amp with some decent power (~100W) to power my Vandersteen 2Ci's. I have acurus separates now and compared to my friend's NAD c356bee they sound terrible, very flat and not engaging.

I'm looking for a piece up to about ~$1,500 used and I already see a decent amount of well liked gear. I'd like to stick with good, recognized, solid name brands that will afford me the ability to sell the piece of I don't like the sound, as I won't be able to audition before I buy.

My room is fairly well treated, and is 12' x 11'. I listen to vinyl on a Rega P1 through a Bellari VP129 tube phono pre, and my main digital source is an Asus Xonar Essence ST PCI sound card playing 24/96 flac rips although I also have an acurus cd player that rarely gets used. I listen to 80's and 90's rock/alternative and folk/country, with some electronic music sprinkled in, and occasionally some classic rock.

I'm considering the Musical Fidelity A5, the Simaudio Moon i5, and the Krell s300i. From what I can tell it's hard to go wrong with either, and they all seem to be within my budget used. I've read the Krell can be unemotional or boring. I'm leaning towards the Musical Fidelity but wanted to know if there were any other integrateds in this range from other brands I've yet to consider, naim, rogue audio (although a tubed power amp right now doesn't seem like a good fit for me in terms of uptime), bel canto, or other models within these manufacturers lines I should consider? Again, I'm mostly looking at mainstream, SS manufacturers that have enough power to give me good, accurate, taut bass from my Vandersteen's 2Ci's 10", and open, airy, high resolution in the mids/highs without being harsh or bright. I'd like to move to Thiel CS3.6's or so some day, but either way I'll need something with enough power to drive 86 - 88db, 6 - 8ohm loads.

Thanks for any direction you guys can point me in.
fargel
Try the Yamaha AS2000. I have owned two of the 3 integrateds you are considering: The Simaudio I-5 and the Musical Fidelity A5.

On the Simaudio, I wanted to like this one, but ultimately gave up after numerous match-ups with various cables and even speakers of the expensive kind. It's all very subjective of course, but I found its sound somewhat lifeless with exagerated ''dry'' bass with a good thump factor but little actual definition. On acoustic bass, I like to hear (and feel) the strings, not just the ''thump''. I know a lot of folks like this integrated, and the build quality is ok for the price.

I did prefer the Musical Fidelity A5 when compared to the I-5. It has more authority, but, as in a previous MF A-300 I used to own, there is a certain brightness to the sound that I could not live with - But if you have less-dynamic speakers (like some B&W's) you could have a good match. But pair the A5 with highly revealing speakers - and listener fatigue comes in big time - it did for me.

I cannot speak for Krell, never owned Krell, and probably never will - it just doesn't call me.

NOW - if you don't mind being laughed at and snobbed at by your ''audiophile'' friends, I would suggest you give the amazing Yamaha AS 2000 a listen.

In my book, and for a LOT less money, it betters both the Simaudio I-5 (that's an easy one) and Musical Fidelity A5 in sound, and smokes them in features. It's not even close on the feature count. Don't let the fact that it has tone controls fool you - they work in a very subtle way and are of the microprocessor kind - suddenly with those, 50% of my cd collection became listenable again.

Do a search for this amplifier and read up on it - it is a very nice package, beautifully built, and sounds stunning, and not just for the price. It is the least expensive of my components in my system - it can be partnered with much higher priced gear - tha's how good it is.

One last suggestion, but in a totally different direction of course - The Naim Nait is of course another proverbial no-brainer, but that's a different story altogether!

Good luck!
I'm familiar with the Ayre. A local dealer *raves* about that piece, and I had written it off as its retail price tag is $3,500 (although I do see one here for $1950, and that guy's local to me). I've really only heard good things about it, but the stereophile review is less than glowing for some reason. At $1950, it's a little more than I wanted to spend - is it really that much of a significant upgrade to the aforementioned integrateds?

I read the A308 review and people do seem to like it better than the A5.

The Simaudio at 70wpc doesn't seem to me like it will drive my Vandy's to the level (or maybe at least in the bass control/volume) that I like. I'd hate to take a step backwards going from my 150W amp in terms of bass control/authority.

Wouldn't most depreciation have already occurred if I'm buying it at a decent used price here? If I can find the A308 for between 1,200 and $1,500 (not sure how much they usually go for used), wouldn't I be able to sell it for close to the same price in a few months/years? Seems like their stuff is popular and well reviewed, even if they do keep changing models faster than most. Am I wrong?

Also - do most people pay for the blue book feature here? I can see with even buying one piece it would be worth it.
I think you should be looking at current carrying level rather than watts in general.i dont want to open a can of worms without backing but thats what i have come to understand about amps.i do own the i5.3..its pretty powerfull for a 85 watt amp,if it comes up look at the lfd integrated,lots of thumbs up from what i hear and read.
''I'm familiar with the Ayre. A local dealer *raves* about that piece''

I am absolutely, positively Triple-Teflon insulated and fully immune to ANY dealer Raving about ANY piece of gear that he is selling, especially those who cannot find even a simple quality in other units they are not selling. Sorry, I've seen this way to often.
The Ayre is very fine, but I don't believe it is Class A as previously stated, if it were, it would very likely be more the sufficient power to drive the Vandies to very, very loud levels - in fact, I would expect the same from A/B power, especially in your size room.