How can a 40 watt amp outshine a 140 watt amp

My query is; I see $6,000 integrated amplifiers with 40 watts per channel, how is this better than my Pionner Elite SC-35 @ 140 watts per channel, what am I going to hear different, with a, let's say Manley Labs - STINGRAY II? I obviously don't understand the basics involved and if someone could explain or point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

I would like to set up a nice two channel analog system. I really can't afford the aforementioned Stingray, what is "out there" in the 2.5 grand range?
mystertee
It is useless debating the quality of amps alone, they are only heard when they are driving speakers. On speakers that are easy to drive there is less difference, on hard to drive ones more. Don't spend money on things you can't hear; I hear differences IN MY SYSTEM so I have a reasonably expensive amp; my friend drives his Quad 57s with a rebuilt tube Heathkit; they are not sensitive to changes in amps. You pays your money and makes your choice; on some very difficult loads the old Classe 25 watt amp would outdrive amps 10x as powerful, IT ALL DEPENDS!
Sorry, but I can't get past the first response.

02-20-11: Griffithds
It all boils down to this. If the 1st watt doesn't sound good, why would you want 139 more of them!

Brilliant.

Regards,
Am I really reading that all amps sound alike here on Agon and some actually think this is true. Come on - really?

This test and article must be a joke of some kind right?

My goodness I hear differences as true and real as day is from night with my eyes. Someone said if you can't hear the difference, then that is true for you. I agree and that is the bottom line. If you can't hear it, then no reason to invest in better amps! Just buy a 100 watt 1980's Sears MCS series amp for $35 and be done with it.

Strange a person with such ears would even bother with this site or any high end gear?
It is all in the match of the amp to your speaker, and the speaker sensitivity. If your speakers are 90dB sensitive, a modest sized room, 40wpc amps should play loud enough provided you don't want insane levels. Remember that to go from 40-80wpc only gives you 3dB, and from 80-160wpc, another 3dB, a mere click or two on the volume control.
SS integrated amps to consider among others...Odyssey Khatargo, NAD, Bryston, Tubes-Prima Luna, Manley, Vincent, CJ, Quicksilver separates and ARC.