Peachtree Decco 2 setup...

I need advice, I recently picked up a Peachtree Decco 2 for a bedroom system. I've got an NAD DVD player as the source, connected via PS- audio digital interconnect to the decco. I'm also using my pc for digital (flac) files, tied in with a no-name USB cable. Speakers are dynaudio audience 42 with analysis plus oval 9 speaker cables. So that's the setup, here's the problem... It sounds, well, like crap!! Theres hardly any bass, the highs are much too 'soft' and the midrange seems over-pronounced. Am I using the wrong equipment somewhere in my setup? Any advice would be great, thanks in advance.
chubz71
hi, i have the decco and it is a bit different than the 2 in the dac area and some features. it does have a soft sound because of the tubes imo. and there is some compromise in the amp section but your report is the first one i have ever seen where it sounds like crap. your other gear is very nice. i see your other system is good too so you know what good sound is. the speakers are in phase i assume. did you get it locally? as a snap look i would guess it may have a problem or your expectations are too high maybe. possible some dynaudio expert can shed some light here. i;d like to know what is going on ,good luck. ps. david at peachtree has answered questions from me quickly so call him monday possibly. they care about good sound and customers
I would question where and how you have the speakers set up. As mentioned by Hotmailjbc, are they in phase? How close to walls, etc...
You can test the digital part by hooking up the cd with rca cables to the decc0 to compare? Also, tubes do get old. Have you had it checked? Supposedly, the tube can be bypassed.
Final question: Have you compared your pc audio vs using a real cd? Is there a difference?
From what I've read, the Decco amp is designed for smaller speakers and doesn't have a ton of power. You could always try an external amp to see if the amp section is your problem.
I would suspect a poor speaker/amp match just because all the Dynaudios I know like lots of juice. From what I've heard or been told, SimAudio amps like them, so do KT88-based tube amps.

That said, positioning and the room make a great difference in how speakers sound. More hard than soft surfaces tend to make the music sound, well, hard. Positioning near the wall or too close to a corner can make boom.

If you suspect your DVD player is the weak link, cheap tweaks include a power cord, an isolation transformer (eBay) and antivibration footers like the ones from Herbie's Audio Labs. The PC source can be helped with a quality USB cable like the one from Acreyes here.

Also, is your digital interconnect 1.5 meters long?