Help convince me to buy a vintage Mcintosh MC240/MX110z setup!

There should be a Audiogon forum titled: "first world problems" because this certainly qualifies:  I have a SET amp that I really like, but want to experience the Mcintosh vintage sound as well, and can buy the MC240/MX110z setup for what appears to be a nice price in decent condition.

If I get it, I know I'll have maintenance work over the years on it, and it costs money that is not really "necessary" since I already have a quality SET amp.

If I don't get it, I'll be fine, but will I be missing out on an opportunity to enjoy the classic Mcintosh sound?  Basically, is the setup a "must have" or is it just "nice"?
garthb309
I'd just buy the MC240 and use your present preamp with it. You might like it better than your SET amp (which are problematic for speaker matching). 
I guess you'll need the MX110z then to drive the MC240. If the price is good for the pair, go for it!
Most of the depreciation is out of those units. You could buy them, see if you like them and sell them for what you paid if you're not totally satisfied.
That's the beauty of (most) McIntosh gear. The sound quality doesn't hurt either.I assume you read this article already:
https://positive-feedback.com/Issue77/vintage_mcintosh_experience.htm
Been there, done that.
I really prefer vintage units by Fisher, Scott & Pilot.
depreciation ? my 1961 Mc240 retailed for $199, try finding one for that..

and the MX-110 Z is awesome, probably as good or better tuner section than an MR-85

fun and music, that is the key..

photos of the Z and 240 in my vintage system page..