how close in sound can a tube and ss amp sound ?

i have observed threads requesting advice regarding tube sounding solid state amps, within a price point.

i wonder how to confirm such a request.

in addition to recommendations, what about comparing a particular ss amp to a particular tube amp using an experimental design where bias, or preconception has been eliminated ?

has anyone tested the hypothesis that he/she cannot detect the difference between a tube and a ss amp, within the same power range, price point and minimizing interaction problems, such as impedeance mismatches ?

on the other hand if someone is seeking a tube-like sound out of a solid state amp, i would assume that one would use a "classic" sounding tube amp, e.g., cj mv 45, cj 75, cj 100, or cj mv125 as the tube amp and try to find a ss amp that is indistinguishable from the sound of the classic tube amp.

i have found that many ss amps differ with respect to bass and treble response from many tube amps.

in my own case, i would love to find a 120 watt ss amp which sounds like my vtl tube amp. unfortunately, i am not optimistic.

in other threads, some people have stated that it is impossible to find a ss amp that is "tube-like", in the classic sense.
mrtennis
thanks again for the explanations, especially the problem of odd order harmonics and the advantage of some tube products which are , allegedly, designed to minimize odd order distortion.

am i to assume that the relationship between magnitudes of even to odd order distortion is manifested by the effects of clipping.

that is, an set amp which is operating beyond is ability to play beyond certain spls, may produce distortion from clipping which is perceived as plesant, whereas, some ss amps , when clipping may be perceived to sound unplesant ?

it would seem that one of the salient factors distinguishing the sound of some tube amps compared to some ss amps is their performance when operating in a clipping mode.
Do you want to judge an amp on how it sounds when its clipping . If it clips at the levels your using it at , you bought to low powered an amp .
>>12-29-10: Mrtennis
it would seem that one of the salient factors distinguishing the sound of some tube amps compared to some ss amps is their performance when operating in a clipping mode<<

Salient?

It's irrelevant.
Audiofeil, in this case Mr. Tennis is right in some circumstances. If the amplifier is being clipped only on peaks, its behavior with that clipping will have a lot to do with its sound.

If you have a transistor amplifier and a tube amplifier of equal power and gain, such that either is clipped on peaks only, what you will find is that if the tube amplifier is built right, instead of outright distortion or excessive brightness, it will simply seem to compress right before audible distortion onset.

If for example the speaker is 90 db, and the amplifier 50 watts, this clipping behavior can be pretty important as there can be plenty of opportunity to clip the amp. It is situations like this that have led to the idea that tube amplifier power is often thought to be greater than that of transistors.
why do some ss amps seem to perform poorly in the range 1000 hz to 5000 hz ?

they often sound like there exists a peak somewhere in the above mentioned region.

whereas, many tube amps, sound more pleasing in the aforementioned range.

could it be that some tube amps are subtractive ? , even though both ss and tube amps may measure well.