Krell S-150M Mono Blocks

Anyone have any first-hand experience with these? I saw something in TAS about them being solid state amplifier of the year...??

Thanks in advance.

_Ben
2chnlben
David:

Indeed, we are on a very similar quest!

After being prompted by my dealer, who recently picked up the McIntosh line, I went in to hear the new Mac MC-302. As a reference, we were comparing the 302 to a Krell Evo 401e (certainly not a fair comparison, but an excellent reference). The Mac is so darn cool looking (and built like a tank) that I was hoping I would like it. The difference between the 302 and the Evo 402e however, was literally night and day. The upper frequencies were presented so much better via the Krell (as was the bass) that I immediately decided against the Mac. Unfortunately, the Evo series is out of my budget range.

Now, I don’t image the S-275 is going to compete with the bigger (and more expensive) Evo amps, but if it sounds anywhere near as good as the 402e, then I am going to seriously consider buying it. Next week I am going to take my amp (PS Audio GCC-250 – class-D) into my dealer and do a little “shoot-out” with the S-275, the Evo 402e, my amp and the Mac. I’ll post my findings, so stay tuned.

I too will appreciate learning about your findings. Please do post your comments or feel free to email me via the members section.

Thanks.

_Ben
I have two KRELL S275's; I use one for my HT center channel (bi-amped) and one for right and left rear channels. I use two Krell EVO600e's for right and left front channels. The S275's replaced a Krell 3X250 AMP. The S275 sounds much, much better than the 3X250; cleaner, clearer, faster, more detailed, more dynamic and life-like sound. Since I do not use the 275's for music, I cannot comment on 3 dimensional sound staging. I like the S275's very much. Although they are not in the same class as the EVO amps, their sound is similar. I think they are terrific amps, much better than previous equivalent Krell class amps (3X250). If the EVO amps are out of your price range, the Krell S275's deserve your consideration. I don't think you will find anything better in its price range. Krell is very, very good at building great amps and pre-amps (Krell is among the best, if not the best electronics company in the high end audio business-check out Martin Collom's review in HiFi Critic on Evo 402 and 402e).
What pre-amp and speakers will you be using?
I have a FPB 300cx and don't even think of changing. There is absolutely nothing about the amp that bothers me (other than its massive size and general ugliness), much I love about it and like a good friendship, after more than 8 years we still get along famously although others (pre's, spkrs, cables, DAC's) have come and gone.

Neal
Hello 2chnlben,

From what i was able to read on them, they have a very small power supply vs their power rating. If you have 8 ohm , high eff speakers, maybe , if not i would stay away ..

regards,
2chnlben if you have a 5K budget , why not look at the FPB series, an FPB300/600 can be had for less than 5K.

regards,