Krell S-150M Mono Blocks

Anyone have any first-hand experience with these? I saw something in TAS about them being solid state amplifier of the year...??

Thanks in advance.

_Ben
2chnlben

Showing 2 responses by matjet

I have two KRELL S275's; I use one for my HT center channel (bi-amped) and one for right and left rear channels. I use two Krell EVO600e's for right and left front channels. The S275's replaced a Krell 3X250 AMP. The S275 sounds much, much better than the 3X250; cleaner, clearer, faster, more detailed, more dynamic and life-like sound. Since I do not use the 275's for music, I cannot comment on 3 dimensional sound staging. I like the S275's very much. Although they are not in the same class as the EVO amps, their sound is similar. I think they are terrific amps, much better than previous equivalent Krell class amps (3X250). If the EVO amps are out of your price range, the Krell S275's deserve your consideration. I don't think you will find anything better in its price range. Krell is very, very good at building great amps and pre-amps (Krell is among the best, if not the best electronics company in the high end audio business-check out Martin Collom's review in HiFi Critic on Evo 402 and 402e).
What pre-amp and speakers will you be using?
The Krell CX series amps are absolutlely superb, especially the monoblocks. I think the Evo e series amps are sliightly better. I had 450mcx's and loved them. I now have Evo 600e's (and S275's).