Spectral preamps

I've read that Spectral AMPS must be used with Spectral preamps and MIT interconnects and speaker cables.

Does the same rule apply to Spectral PREAMPS? Can they be used on their own with other manufacturers' amps?

I assume the same rule applies for amps and preamps, but just checking. Thanks in advance.
bigamp
Here is the technical reason why Spectral electronics MUST be used with MIT cables:
Spectral's designers believe that for best sound, amps and preamps must be able to pass ultra-wide bandwidth, in the Mega Hertz range.
Their preamps have no RFI filters and their power amps have no filter (zobel) networks at the output, therefore, Spectral gear depends on outside filters to be unconditionally stable, hence the recommendation to use MIT cables.
MIT cables include "networks" at both ends, these are actually RFI filters, which prevent oscillation and filter out-of-band noise.
In summary, anyone who chooses to ignore Spectral's recommendation is doing so at his own (and hist tweeter's) risk.
Enjoy the music!
Casouza,
To amplify, no pun there, I have a story about MIT Cables which bears repeating.
Years ago, and I mean YEARS, when Bruce Brisson and Karen Sumner partnered in distributing the MIT cables, they quickly, because of her marketing genius, became very well regarded by the press AND the consumers out there.
I have to say that, at that time I tried them, even sold them for a while, as I had a connection with Ms. Sumner (later of Electrocompaniet).
Soon after my initial blush with the product, I became convinced that there was something 'tonally' about the cable that I didn't agree with. Then after long sessions, comparisons etc. it became 'apparent' to my ear that the cables were 'rolled off' on the high end and, to my ear, 'lumpy' and forward in the bass somehow.
After a cocktail reception at my store, Jim Thiel and Karen Sumner and I went to dinner. It was quite the evening...thank God for red wine.
After quite a bit of silence (uncomfortably so)by Jim Thiel, he finally confessed to the table, "I don't know what Bruce Brisson is talking about." Saying it in that quiet and sincere voice that only Jim had...yet with an authority and surety that only he could present.
"He's not practicing any Newtonian physics I've ever studied, so I'm confused at how he decides what to do, OR how he's doing it." One of Jim's basic complaints was that the cables was (this is a 25 year old memory, but presented honestly)that the cables were 'highly capicative', rolling off the higher frequencies, acting like a capacitor in line.
OK, that was 25 years ago, and everything, everyone, every product evolves over time, no doubt. As I recall, Karen Sumner and Bruce, disolved their relationship, which may only be faulty memory.
I do know this, and the point of this windy story is, that I've always suspected that the MIT Cables were coupled with the Spectral to 'mask' what I guessed was not just full bandwidth delivery, but a 'forward' high end on their products. Let's face it the 'problems' that I believe I'm hearing, are not in the Megahertz region, but octaves below that--and effect the harmonics of some mid range data.
I haven't heard the Spectral in the past couple of years, to be fair--so tell me I'm wrong, I'll believe it. Yet, the 'house sound' usually is a constant. If not, I'll give way to someone with more current info.

I have great respect for well engineered products, but could never warm up to the Spectral. BTW, Spectral is not the only product to present ultra-wide bandwidth information, so I'd like to hear from someone who's more informed about their designs.
I'm completely open to a new way of thinking about Spectral.

Thanks,
Larry
I once had a DMC-10, one of the earlier Spectral preamps and I used it with a Krell KSA-250. It always performed well and had no hi frequency side effects. I also had a Counterpoint SA-3 at the time and compared them to each other a few times and they sounded quite similar to me then. Although now they may not.

Although I know it's true, it seems very odd to that a company would design a product to have ultra wide bandwidth and then require special cables to tame the very thing they spent time and money creating. It sounds like something the government would do.
Larry,

I don't think anyone is making a general recommendation on MIT cables. In fact, I completely dislike a large set of their cables - I also find them really colored - except as prescribed for the Spectral gear. The MIT/Spectral cables have been spec'ed by Spectral, and it's not really Bruce's creation (is my well informed understanding).

As Casouza said, their electronics contain no filters, and in addition, wide bandwidth designs operate optimally within a certain range (there are plenty of informative discussions about this on whatsbestforum.com's amplifier threads). The required filters for Spectral sit "in" the cables so their values can be optimized for the length purchased - simple as that. There is nothing "odd" (Rwwear) about this approach, they just optimize the entire chain by placing custom filters outside the boxes; in the end all the expected pars are there, just in slightly different places.

In the end, no electronics brand is for everyone, we all know that.
BTW, you will also find some very informative posts by ex Spectral designer Damian Martin on WBF's Spectral forum.