how does current work in an amplifier?

I am trying understand the importance of current in an amplifier.

Quite often, I see that a speaker is said to work best with a high current amplifier.

What does this mean?

How does one determine if an amplifier is or is not high current?
dsper
Specs done well are useful for helping determine up front how well components might work together. I definitely recommend using specs for this purpose to get where you want to be faster rather than putting pieces together blindly and hoping for optimal results.

Less useful for determining how good a particular piece is. Since it always takes two or more components to actually produce music, this is really not very important anyhoo.
Mapman,

The last few weeks have proven to me that your words about matching components are true.

I had always wanted a Mac amp and got one and was happy with it until I got my Maggie 1.2's. At that point, the power into 4 ohms question came up.

I solved it by trading the nine month old Mac for Krell and paid a piece of change to make the trade.

I guess my only excuse is that I bought the Mac before I had heard Maggies. I will never forget that day - I was listening to Paradigm and Klipsch at a local dealer and he suggested that I might try the Maggies. The superior (to my ear) openess and resolution blew me away!

Anyway, it is now Krell and Maggie 1.7's.

I need to be happy with this for at least a while or the most beautiful woman in my life will shoot me dead!
Dsper,

I've heard krell and Martin Logan and teh results were very impressive.

Haven't heard Krell and Maggie but my gut tells me that is a very good match as well!

Glad to hear things are on a happy path!
Atma,
Just read your reply from last month to my specs comments.

You could be right. Bottom line? Don't believe everything you read, even if you think you know something about it....

figures lie and liars figure......

And yeah, my now ancient, long gone Carver Cube was 0.5% distortion and who cared? Sounded fine at the time.,