Solid State Power Amps That Sound Most Like Tubes?

A close friend, and audio enthusiast who followed my path to tubed audio bliss has run into a situation (long story) due to which he needs to move to solid state. He has enlisted my help in putting together a list of the most likely candidates to consider.

I could use your help, expertise and experience in identifying which power amplifiers would best satisfy a former tube lover.

I've read many, many reviews, and it would seem that several of the First Watt amps (the J2) the Plinius SA 101, the Edge M8M, and certain others might work well, but honestly, I've never heard any of them, and know only what I've read. What do you recommend based on actual listening experience?

His budget is roughly $2750, give or take, and that would be considering a used purchase to maximize his purchasing power.

Part of his system mirrors mine. He is using Silverline 17.5 speakers. Which, based on personal experience can be well powered by my 18 wpc SET amp (granted my room is quite small), but tube watts are = to significantly more than solid state watts, and I'm concerned that the First Watts would be a bit light in the power category.

His musical listening tends toward rock, as well as a lot of female singers and jazz. His listening room is medium to medium large sized.

I would appreciate any help with this. I've searched a large number of threads here but most are somewhat out of date.
nightfall
Danielk141,

Ha! I've probably seen your BAT there. I love that place. :-)

We went up to your friend Bill's shop last winter to find it closed. Very sad to see all the independent places closing up shop.

My buddy Bill and I will surely go to the scottsdale location at least once this winter if you wanna join us. We love to audition speakers, and they have some big-time speakers for sure.

Mot
here's a thought. there are capacitors which can alter the frequency response, or at least alter the tonal balance, perhaps emphazing the lower frequencies and reducing the presence of treble frequencies.

replacing caps in the signal path with mundorf gold/oil or audio note copper/oil
after selecting a "decent solid state amp", even if that solid state amp is not "tube like" in the classic sense may solve your problem.

you may be able to get by with an odyssey khartago, from Klaus, at about $800 and replace caps.

as has been said, a solid state amp probably won't sound like most tube amps.

considering that i am a current owner of two tube amps, looking for a solid state amp, my criterion for a ss amp is one which is well balanced, and reasonably full-bodied, without having to sound like a tube amp in a blind test.

you might want to look at the latest issue of the absolute sound. there are a few inexpensive amps recommended. try to listen to them, or pick one and consider cap replacement. yes, i know, reviews are what they are, but if you replace some key parts you may be able to alter the sound resulting in an acceptable amp.
you might want to look at the latest issue of the absolute sound. there are a few inexpensive amps recommended. try to listen to them, or pick one and consider cap replacement. yes, i know, reviews are what they are, but if you replace some key parts you may be able to alter the sound resulting in an acceptable amp.

Boy, if it were me I would certainly not be speculating on the effects of cap replacement to "alter the sound resulting in an acceptable amp". Not to mention how modifications like that can potentially harm the resale value should the amp+modification turns out not be what your friend is after. Otherwise on the used market it is certainly pretty easy to turn around a respectable product at minimal or no loss and move on to try something else.

Not to disrespect reviewers at TAS, but the selection of amps that actually review in ratio to what's actually available is very small indeed and you'd be unnecessarily be limiting yourself for no particularly good reason IMO. I don't recall any of the recommendations in the latest issue being paired off with SR17.5's or a Meridian pre.

Alan Yun, of Silverline, might be another good resource to recommend amps that suit those speakers well.

I think the OP is on the right track in seeking out some direct listening experience with the other components, especially the speakers, within the system that the amp is being considered for.

Per the course of some of the discussion here - just drop the "sounds like tubes" part of it; he knows he wants and SS amp for whatever reason - just look for a great sounding SS amp that pairs well with those speakers. A great amp is a great amp - it should disappear (along with the rest of the system) and connect you and engage you more directly with the music. There are amps of all sorts of topologies that are capable of doing just that. Otherwise it's kind of like shopping for an apple that tastes like an orange.

One great advantage that I found with those speakers (at least the previous versions that I owned) is that they are quite versatile and can sound excellent with both topologies - I had them paired for a while with a very simple Portal Audio Panache SS integrated and they sounded wonderful with that amp. That's VERY modest in comparison to what you are otherwise considering.