Solid State Power Amps That Sound Most Like Tubes?

A close friend, and audio enthusiast who followed my path to tubed audio bliss has run into a situation (long story) due to which he needs to move to solid state. He has enlisted my help in putting together a list of the most likely candidates to consider.

I could use your help, expertise and experience in identifying which power amplifiers would best satisfy a former tube lover.

I've read many, many reviews, and it would seem that several of the First Watt amps (the J2) the Plinius SA 101, the Edge M8M, and certain others might work well, but honestly, I've never heard any of them, and know only what I've read. What do you recommend based on actual listening experience?

His budget is roughly $2750, give or take, and that would be considering a used purchase to maximize his purchasing power.

Part of his system mirrors mine. He is using Silverline 17.5 speakers. Which, based on personal experience can be well powered by my 18 wpc SET amp (granted my room is quite small), but tube watts are = to significantly more than solid state watts, and I'm concerned that the First Watts would be a bit light in the power category.

His musical listening tends toward rock, as well as a lot of female singers and jazz. His listening room is medium to medium large sized.

I would appreciate any help with this. I've searched a large number of threads here but most are somewhat out of date.
nightfall
I'm continually surprised anyone would want tube maintenance issues on a tube piece that sounds so close to solid state.

The trick is to run a tube preamp that sounds more like music that it does like transistors :)
Atmosphere,

My Pass XP-10 is the most musical preamp I've ever owned.
I must admit, I haven't heard your gear.
One of the most unfortunate effects of the current economic situation is the demise of many local dealers.
That is really true here in the Phoenix area.
My friends Bill & Marce used to be the local dealers for Pass, Cary, YBA, Exposure, JM Lab. They closed their doors.
Bill kept his Cary 805s, SLP98, and Cary CD player.
His system is one of the best I've ever heard.
We have a few dealers left now, and 1 big dealer who's not interested in letting you in the door, unless you're a celebrity or high roller. I've never been there.
When I retire, I plan to travel & hear brands that just aren't available, in Arizona..
@Danielk141: I spend winters in AZ, and I've been to the dealer you are talking about...the Tempe and Scottsdale locations. Actually really nice folks. Listened to everything you can imagine, including the $250k MBLs. Stop in and I think you will be surprised at how friendly they are. Go to the Scottsdale location...thats where the really good speakers are.

Of course the guys at Audio Video Choices in downtown Phoenix are still my go-to guys. :-)