Solid State Power Amps That Sound Most Like Tubes?

A close friend, and audio enthusiast who followed my path to tubed audio bliss has run into a situation (long story) due to which he needs to move to solid state. He has enlisted my help in putting together a list of the most likely candidates to consider.

I could use your help, expertise and experience in identifying which power amplifiers would best satisfy a former tube lover.

I've read many, many reviews, and it would seem that several of the First Watt amps (the J2) the Plinius SA 101, the Edge M8M, and certain others might work well, but honestly, I've never heard any of them, and know only what I've read. What do you recommend based on actual listening experience?

His budget is roughly $2750, give or take, and that would be considering a used purchase to maximize his purchasing power.

Part of his system mirrors mine. He is using Silverline 17.5 speakers. Which, based on personal experience can be well powered by my 18 wpc SET amp (granted my room is quite small), but tube watts are = to significantly more than solid state watts, and I'm concerned that the First Watts would be a bit light in the power category.

His musical listening tends toward rock, as well as a lot of female singers and jazz. His listening room is medium to medium large sized.

I would appreciate any help with this. I've searched a large number of threads here but most are somewhat out of date.
nightfall
Do all tube amps sound the same? Not in my experience.
Maybe it would make more sense to mention some of the tube amps he's had and liked in the past and then try to get a SS amp that sounds like one of those.
I wish I could listen to more than 3 or 4 high end amps for an extended time to really know how they ALL sound. I try, but too many amps not enough budget. :)
for solid state amplification you should go with mosfet outputs vs. bipolar. Their harmonic artifacts (all amps produce them) are more odd order then even, which is the tube characteristic which their proponents prefer.
I use an Accuphase amp for that very reason; love the sonic signature.
I think tube amps are known for EVEN order harmonics which sound GOOD or can't really be detected at all.

For SS, stick with Hexfets that were designed for audio use and not just a stock transistor that can amplify.
The sound of tubes and the sound of solid state are converging so that the best designs are indistinguishable. Ayre is solid state and should be on your short list.