Aesthetix Calypso vs. ?

I have this on loan from my dealer, and am wondering what other preamps I should try within this price range.

I think the Calypso betters my BAT 3iX, without the 3iX's somewhat closed in on top and darkish midrange.

The 3iX does seem to win in the midbass, and I still very much like the its overal soundstage presentation. I'm wondering if I should try some tuberolling with the 3iX before I give up on it. I just have the standard Electro-Harmonix 6922s in it right now.

(I tried some Tung Sol 12AX7s I had in the closet in the Calypso. Lovelier midrange and deeper soundstage than the Sovteks, but too much hiss).
daverz
Finding a balanced tube preamp is not all that hard
ah, true, but unfortunately not as easy as finding a single-ended preamp or a psudo-balanced preamp - especially outside of Minnesota :?)
I take back what I said about the Calypso bettering the 3ix. The Calypso does have more treble extension and more neutral midrange, but I just find the big, dramatic soundstage the 3ix presents to be hard to leave. I think part of the effect is due to the plumper midbass of the 3ix, but there's more depth to the soundstage as well. Now maybe the Calypso will do better with NOS tubes, but the 3iX is doing its thing with $15 Electro-Harmonix tubes.
I love the Calypso. I think it is a great sounding piece I am using it with my sevens and because of the lack of IR control in other pieces I still use it but I think it is up to the caliper of the rest of the system. Just don't by the Altas amps I have had nothing but trouble with them or there phono stage. I was using quicksilver v4 before that and they where reliable and sounded great.
Thoress phono stage with Decca, EMI curves more open better made.Point to point wiring no boards.