Thought on OTL tube amps

Just curious....how do these sound/perform compared to tube amps with transformers? Why do you prefer one or the other? Any particular brands of OTL amps you would recommend listening to? You can see my system on my tag here...listen mostly to rock and roll with a smattering of jazz and a bit of classical once in a while. The next stop on my amplifier adventure is an OTL model, and I have no intention of trading it for either SET I currently have, as I'm very happy with both. One of the ways I enjoy experimenting with different "sound" is by switching up the amps. Just trying to solicit some opinions, of which I know there are many strong ones here at A-Gon. Thanks in advance!
afc
Sounds like the Spectron approach would lead to broadbase good and the Atma-sphere to a narrower range of as good as it gets - certainly a market for both approaches. With my speakers its the OTLs I would go with, with Thiels or B&W, perhaps the Spectron approach would make more sense.
Hello Jwm,

I just wanted to let you know you're not alone in your thoughts. At least with regards to the brand I heard driving my speaker. Although it does have some wonderful audiophile traits overall the faults I hear ruin the illusion for me.

best,
Tom
I must admit I am a little confused here. Two posters have said OTL amps are thin sounding?

Goodness my experiece could not be more opposite. On my Soundlab speakers they have more body then two other great SS amps I have heard on them.Amps that had good body, but the Atma's had more!

I also used an OTL amp on a set of Silverline Bolero speakers and again the sound was rich and full of texture and bloom. My experience with OTL amps seems to be very different indeed.
Hello Grannyring,

As Pubul57 pointed out my opinion is in the extreme minority and yours is in the greater majority. The Soundlab/Atma combo has virtually all their owners "dancing in the streets" so please enjoy as I'm sure it must sound fantastic.

In my personal experience with an OTL amp and my speaker of choice I concluded that 'for me and me alone' the combo didn't click and I was not willing to live with the trade off in sound quality that I heard.

In the end it is the individual user alone who must decide what works best for them and their systems.

best,
Tom