New LFD Zero LE mkIV

The scuttlebutt is that the LFD Zero LE mkIV is a completely revised and much better sounding unit that will be released in August and, obviously, replaces the LFD Zero LE mkIII.
LFD usually doesn't have much to say about their products. Rather allowing others to do the talking for them.

So what do the others (you all) have to say about this new amp?

Personally I am very excited!
samlucas091
Received the mk4 today, just installed but no critical listening..a quick run with cd showed a very different bass sound to my audio space, and a different mid range of course, but just running in a bit with simple tv feed. The new unit is similar to the ncse, missing some beveled edges and a different LFD badge. Rear inputs close together still but present a no issue for my cabling. Though the speaker terminals are not marked and don't follow right at top per the inputs. More to come when I can compare it over some familiar songs.
Just curious. When you mention of "different bass sound to my audio space, and a different mid range", do you like the sound or was it something you did not hope for?
Too early to say. All a bit rushed (I think also i was incorrect on the speaker posts not following the input terminal orientation and will verify today). The bass seemed a lot fuller, certainly seemed to be "cleaner", the midrange though probably a little drier than the 300B. So two points i will pay attention to when i can sit a little longer.
The sound overall though was nothing nasty - and this was fresh out of the box - and was certainly easy to tell it was not my old amp running things (better or worse i cant say yet but definitely "different").
Quick update. The speaker terminals do follow the other inputs, so my first post on this was incorrect. No big deal.
For listening i have done a little back to back against my AudioSpace. My setup is with Proac D25 speakers, both an Azur 640v2 and Denon 2930 CDP, Zu Wax speaker cables, Zu birth power on CDP, Enigma Audio power on the amp, and lastly Straightwire Rhapsody S interconnects - same as was being used previously so no changes other than the amp.
Initial impressions are good. Its indeed a very listenable sound being produced, changes i can hear are more detail in upper mids, so some recordings with clean cymbal ride or tamborines really sit in space...vocals i have not had a chance to tune in on too much just yet either.
Bass is certainly more present - a little more low bass and its cause for me to look at moving things around to counter some of the additional downside this creates. I switched back to the AS on the same track to compare, and while that also has some low end bloom it misses a little of the articulation. I'm not a seasoned audiophile so i wont try to pretend i can explain it any more than more detail across all of the "areas" that i tend to focus on.
It's not quite tube smooth, but this is fresh out of the box and may indeed be a good thing. I do however have some poor recordings i unfortunately love too much so this is going to be the real test of sitting through them and seeing whether more detail is going to make them uglier.
The unit is solid, i know there is a pic on a few places. I prefer the grey colour (i had a 3.1 with phono i ended up going to the MK4 over) and the case is quite nice. The inputs are still fairly close together but it looks very much as the back of the NCSE does. The top cover is different, maybe the side as well, but other than the different LFD emblem on the front the power and selector switches look the same as NCSE.
I will update more but so far I see this as a nice swap for my AS, its running cool, taking up less space and none of the "glassy things" i was unfortunately pressed to move on from...
As is typical with Dr Richard Bews, he gives very little away in terms of what it is that he does to an existing model in order to improve it. I’m talking here about the migration or, if you prefer evolution, of the Mk3 and Mk3.1 integrated amplifiers into the Mk4. Dr Bews prefers on balance to discuss, if indeed that is the right word, (and perhaps reveal is a better word?) what the sonic improvements will be as to distinct from how he’s achieved them.

For some while he had been aware that although the bass-end performance on the Mk3 and Mk3.1 was fast and tight, it was a little bit lacking in depth he felt, especially when compared to his legendary PA2M (SE), twin mono in one stereo chassis power amp. Other than the Anniversary series, which has yet to see the light of day, in terms of bass weight, tautness, strength, power, tunefulness and above all integration with the lower mid band, the PA 2M SE represents the ultimate in his current design.

Naturally, if at all possible, he wanted to incorporate that quality of bass performance into his integrated amps. He went some considerable way with the latest version of the NCSE and then he turned his attention to the Le Zero units

As yet, the Mk 4 has not been released other than a few samples in N. America. However, from what he has told me, it is likely that the bass performance will approximate to the outstanding quality of the PA 2M SE. This does not of course make that power amplifier redundant and indeed, the Mk4 LE cannot hope to have the same power and authority as the much heavier (in every sense of the word) NCSE. However, it is certainly true that his efforts have been directed to elevating the overall performance of his entry level integrated amp.

Dr Bews pays particular attention to microphony and the elimination of it whilst bearing in mind that it can never be totally eliminated. He’s been aware for some while from reports around the world that a number of owners of the Mk 3 and Mk3.1 had achieved noticeable sonic improvements by removing the top case and replacing it with a Perspex fabricated case (which end-users had sourced locally) and although Richard, of course as a manufacturer, cannot condone the removal of a top cover where lethal voltages are involved, he was aware that even with his best attempts to apply a bitumen damping to the underside of the top cover of the Mk3 & 3.1 units, it was not an entirely satisfactory solution.

The case work of the Mk4 is considerably heavier and reflects the style an engineering applied to the case work of the NCSE. The cosmetic design isn’t to everyone’s tastes. This matters not one iota to him. his entire motivation is the sound. Aesthetics are in the main an irrelevance to him. given that so few of his 1000s of units rarely appear on eBay or Audiogon, one might conclude that the end-users are pretty much in line that form follows function.

Other modifications and improvements have meant that there is no longer the facility for an on board phono stage. To compensate for this Richard has introduced an entry level phone stage, details of which we hope will become apparent in July.

The waiting list for the Mk4 units is growing and currently we anticipate not being able to fulfil all of the current orders before August or possibly early September of this year.

Howard Popeck
Stereonow.co.UK