ARC versus Joule Electra

Hi Folks:

I greatly admire Jud Barber's work both in terms of preamp's and power amp's. His OTL creations are finest of that type of tube amp that I have ever listened too.

Has anyone ever done an A-B comparison between the ARC Reference 2 Mk2 or LS 25 MK2 (both 6H30 tubed) versus the best preamps by Mr. Barber?

Best:

D.H.
danhirsh
I think that HPs comments on the LA150MKII capture the essence of the preamps sound and the Joule sound in general, but for the LA150MKI which was a different animal all together compared to the house sound. If you can read HPs review, you get the idea of what to expect, and very different soundscape from what you can expect from ARC, I think. All great preamps in their own right.
Not me.

But I do swirch between an ARC LS25 and Jouloe 100 pre. If this is of interest, respond to this post and I'll provide some flavor.

Marty
Hello Marty: LA-100 is from "stone age". Today, I believe, the best Jud preamp is LA-300ME and so said Harry Pearson in July 2010 issue of TAS. He gave this preamp "2010 HP Editor Choice" Award. He called it "most romantic" - of course without coloration.

In contrary to Joule-Electra where all preamp (with pssible exception of LA-150 Mk1) are slightly romantic - ARC preamps are not consistant and vary from model to model. I am not familiar with LS25 but I listen to Reference 2; no comparison to LA-300ME, on my very subjective opinion.

I like LA-150 Mk2 too but "300" is better