Atma Sphere deserves praise

In the last 6 months Atma Sphere released a revision to their MK III designation to MK III.1. It amounted to a small part change and I think the resulting cost was less than $500. In my system, and in other's judging by recent posts, it was a very worthwhile improvement. Not only was an upgrade path available, but the cost was very reasonable.

Do you think other manufacturers that release "new" product updates every 12-18 months, or worse new products because there is no upgrade path are simply offering design breakthroughs? Or is this just running a successful business?

I think they hurt their current customers by devaluing their "old" equipment on the used market, and causing them to scurry like ants for the latest new stuff.
mmike84
My reaction is mixed. A "small part change" to a tube circuit would seem to be something that a lot of us could do ourselves for a lot less expense and trouble than shipping equipment back to the factory. A hundred dollars invested in a decent soldering station pays for itself many times over. Tubes and analog are really not suitable as passive consumer items unless you live next door to the factory.
causing them to scurry like ants for the latest new stuff

I know folks like this,not just with audio but everything from TVs to cars to boats,etc.It's kind of comical and sad at the same time.
I agree. Which is one reason I own Atma-sphere and Merlin, and Joule. There is something to be said for 15-20 year old designs that were so well executed the first time, that it is not necessary to reinvent the product every 3 years with no upgrade possible. I don't mean to be cynical, but those wholesale changes seem to be the result of bad design, or driven by marketing decisions about obsolesence.
I am lucky to live next door to Shelbyville in the 612. Ralph and his crew of workers are about as good as it gets with service, quality of manufacture, and overall good dudes. I have upgraded my system with M-60 amps and P2 preamp and that will be my refrence for years to come. With carefull timing, I am hoping to be out for a short period of time when I send the P2 in for upgrades due to my close proximty and ability to bribe with food.
You might take note, Mr SJ, that when you send the unit back to Atma-sphere for the upgrade, once completed, the original factory warranty is reinstated.