really? .89c ground lifters?

if i understand correctly (and I'm guessing that I don't), only one component in a given system should be grounded.

so does that mean that all you guys with your GNP-level systems, plumbed with bazillion dollar power cords, are using a bucketful of home depot-style ground lifters? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that. Is there some source for solid-gold cryo'd ground lifters I have not found?

How is this problem addressed? My searching skills are failing this morning...there was a lot of chilean and argentinean wine involved last night. thanks.
soundgasm
"The only way to get a shock from the B+ is to actually put yourself in series between the B+ and B- ..... Lifting the safety ground would not change the likelihood one way or the other....."

Actually, if something goes wrong with the equipment - like a B+ wire touching the chassis - you're better off sending that to ground and blowing a fuse, than letting it sit out there to electrocute your kids.
Actually, if something goes wrong with the equipment - like a B+ wire touching the chassis - you're better off sending that to ground and blowing a fuse, than letting it sit out there to electrocute your kids.
04-23-10: Auxetophone
Auxetophone,
If B+ were to short across to the chassis the power supply would overload and hopefully blow a fuse, that is if the equipment has any power supply overcurrent protection. B- is usually connected to the chassis.....
Again in this case the safety equipment ground would not make any difference connected or lifted.

The Link you provided is in regards to three wire cord and plug equipment connected to an AC grounded electrical system. I am familiar with the article. The article tells it like it is.....
Jea48 - how can I tell whether my equipment is a three wire cord and plug deal or the kind that's safe?
...how can I tell whether my equipment is a three wire cord and plug deal or the kind that's safe?
04-24-10: Auxetophone
Auxetophone,

In the case of a three wire cord and plug if the equipment ground is not lifted and the electrical continuity integrity of the branch circuit safety equipment grounding conductor is good all the way back to the electrical panel the equipment is for all practical purposes safe. (Three wire plug? 2 straight blades, hot and neutral, with a round ground pin. USA)

Here is a stickler though.... More and more equipment may use an IEC plug on their equipment with a 3 wire cord and plug. If the the IEC plug is inspected you may find there is only 2 blades, the hot and neutral. No equipment ground contact. In this case the equipment was built with double insulated AC power wiring. The equipment grounding conductor of the power cord is not used.

The reason for the standard IEC plug,(minus the ground pin), on the back of the equipment? The consumer can use 3 wire cord and plug after market power cords.

Equipment with fixed power cords if the equipment ground is used must have a 3 wire cord and plug. (Hot, neutral, and equipment grounding conductor.)

Equipment with a fixed power cord that uses double insulated AC power wiring will use a 2 wire cord and plug. The neutral blade on the plug will be slightly wider so as it will only plug into the receptacle in one direction. The plug is polarized. This is needed so the switch and fuse protection for the equipment is in series with the hot conductor. Also for the proper AC polarity orientation of the power transformer, that is if the manufacture checks every transformer before installation.... The big boys do... Every power transformer.