Herron VTSP-3A

Hey guys, I just got this preamp in my system and have only used it for 5 hours. However, I don't have to wait for burn in or more evaluation time to tell this compenent is absolutley outstanding. The VTSP-3A is the new version and it has over 50 changes from the VTSP-3. I got my system sounding really good before the arrival of the Herron, but the Herron has really brought my system to life. Heck, the VTSP-3A has had the most postive impact on about every aspect of sound in my system than any other electonic compenent I have ever bought. I feel like the Herron is letting me hear the potential of everything else in my system. I thought I would make this post since I'm not sure if a lot of people know about Herron. If someone is in the market for a top of the line preamp, they may want to at least consider this one. For the record, I have no affliation with the company, I'm just a VERY happy owner.
128x128kclone
Bill & Rackon: Great descriptions of the sound of Herron gear, and very accurate IMO. Disclosure: I retail Herron equipment, Departure Audio.
I would like to reiterate a point I made earlier in this thread: In addition to the great sonics, the Herron designs are extremely flexible with a very intelligent feature set, great ergonomics, exceptional reliability and excellent after-sale support. In my experience, these things are very important for long-term satisfaction, and not always present in all high performance audio equipment.
Herron components are not flashy, but the really important stuff is more than accounted for.
I am using the VTSP3a and M1's to drive various Canton and Green Mountain Audio speaker models. The Herron gear brings out the best in whatever it is linked to. I have'nt found a combination of speakers, source components, cables, etc. that the Herron gear did not play well with and assert its many virtues. I also agree that there is a nice synergy between the VTSP pre and the M1 amps (I have found this to be true with most front end gear and generally advise people to stay with one manufacturers electronics, where possible).
I characterize the Herron sound as smooth, natural, refined, grain-free and non fatiguing. IMO, Herron has some similarity to Blue Circle Audio equipment, which, surprise, I also sell. There are differences, but both are well designed, well made, natural/neutral/musical sounding, and, most importantly, very satisfying over the long term.
I bi amp using four M1's. The power amps do what good power amps supposed to do (very well). They just do their job day in day out. They don't get in the way of the music they just amplify. No drama!

With the updated SP3a. I was using some rather cheap and nasty interconnects with my SP3 and did not notice anything wrong with them. However the 3a is much more revealing so, in order to subdue some harshness when I updated, I updated the interconnects as well. Fixed things up nicely, thank you very much!
Hi Rossop,

Just out of curiosity, what speakers do you have that you are biamping using the (4) M1's? Do the M1's do an adequate job on the low end, i.e., have enough grunt?

Bill

I run Focus Audio FS888. They are about 91db sensitive and a fairly easy load to drive. As I said before the M1s do a great job. They don't run out of steam and since the upgrade of the preamp I use the low gain setting because of the reprogrammed volume contour. I like to use 40-60 on the volume display. Unless you are in a very large space the M1s have plenty of grunt.
I own a VTSP-3A and VTPH-2 and based on the sound of these two components, I have also ordered a pair of of M1's and have become a dealer for Keith here in Western North Carolina.

This is great sounding audio gear and I've owned a lot over the last 30 years.

The M1's will be taking the place of a pair of Pass XA100.5's and this will truly be a test of how Keith's amps sound. I love the Pass amps, but cannot become a dealer for them so I will take a shot here.

I'll try to keep you guys updated.