Merrill VERITAS monoblock amplifiers

I'm about to purchase a pair. Just wondering if current owners are still thrilled with there's? It will be replacing reference Coda 15.0 amp. Any replies are much appreciated!
ptheo
Just took a stab at a pair of Merrills after a few email exchanges with Srajan at 6moons and some great long discussions with the gentleman I bought them from. Over the years I have found Srajan very consistent in his approach to products and what they bring to the table. He also values certain things sonically that I value. He had never heard the Merrills. I bought them unheard, something I have never done and at some risk I felt given my past exposures to SMPS. I suppose I could have demo'd them first but a good opportunity to buy a used pair came up and I took it. Very glad I did. I can't comment on the the other NC1200 based amps but I am sure they are all similar sonically, with a few twists I am sure..

Some have commented on the cost, I agree it seems a shame that a product that at every level should be cheaper is not. Owning these right now may in fact be the equivalent to owning a $700 calculator in 1975 as this will eventually trickle down. I would hope that is how it plays out. Right now I'm content knowing confidently I would have to be multiples of $$ to get similar quality sound with power, and that I still would be missing some of the extraordinary things these bring to table.

I am solely focusing on the sonics BTW, the other advantages are obvious and real.
I'm 42 and have been an enthusiast since my first system when I was 14; Kef C-80's, Carver 900 Receiver and Carver CD player with Sonic Hologram technology.

Years ago (about 10, pre-kids) I had a killer top tier system. Talon Firebirds, Tenor Audio 150hp amps, Vac Ren Sig mk II with phono, MF Trivista CD, Teres Table with Graham arm, Ricks Rack Rack. I listened almost every day and it made my soul happy and content. Then I had kids, moved, and my practice got crazy busy and I lost my free time and sold my entire system except for my table/arm combo.

It's been way too long now and I am finally building a whole new system. I have been speaking with Guido and several other great guy/audio resources to help me re-start my search. I started doing a lot of listening.

I purchased the Veritas amps and 2 pre-amps to compare; a Levinson 326s (with phono stage) and a Rowland Capri S2 with PL1 external power supply. The amps and pre-amps are sitting on my floor and on amp stands. Lonely. Not connected. Sigh.

I auditioned a number of speakers (TAD Evo 1/Ref 1, Kef 207/2, Revel Salon 2, Vienna The Muzik, Sonus Faber Ellipsa SE) and decided on The Muzik's. Guido was rather happy with that choice. Happy to add thoughts on the other speakers if anyone asks. The Muzik's are arriving Friday. Yay!!!

FYI - Stay away from European sellers. I got snubbed and lost a boatload of money on an attempted purchase of Faber Amati Futura's. Buy from Europe only through PayPal. NO wires!!! He had good feedback and solid references.

I also just purchased an Adona SR4 (4 shelf) rack with oversized top shelf for my turntable, a Teres Audio with Graham 2.2 arm and Denon MC cartridge. Currently using an Electrocompaniet ECP1 phono stage. Rack will be here in 2 weeks. Yay again!! Great people at Adona by-the-way.

Source is a PS Audio Perfectwave 2 DAC being fed by a Core Audio modified Mac Mini running iTunes and Amarra via a Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB cable.

Cables are Shunyata Z-tron Anaconda XLR from DAC to pre and pre to amps, Audience AU-24SE bi-wire 1.5m speaker cables and a Shunyata Z-tron Alpha digital power cord for the DAC and the high level stock PC's that came with the Veritas amps.

Still need a better PC for the pre-amp, and deciding on power conditioning. Currently running an old PS Audio Duet with the pre, DAC, phono and table power. It's actually a great conditioner performer for what it is.

And with ALL of that, I haven't heard it all together! Sigh. But in 2 weeks, music will flow.... Then I can start rejoicing and commenting on the gear and what, if anything, needs to be changed. But I needed to start somewhere and I think I'm starting off pretty darn nicely. :)
Hi Matt, the Rowland PC-1 will be converting 120V AC into high voltage DC, clean up any mains grundge, and will feed that into the Capri autoranging SMPS. At least in theory, this should reduce Capri S2 sensitivity to power cords. As Capri and PC-1 will both undergo significant break-in for the first 700 hours, it is not possible to determine during the first couple weeks what the effect will be with any aftermarket PCs on them. Once they are stabilized, you might try the new Shunyata Z-tron Alpha, which was designed specificclly for devices with SMPS... Place it on PC-1 and let it break-in.... Then exclude PC-1 and use it directly on Capri S2.... Assess the difference.... Only then you will be able to determine what solution is preferable.

Just warning to anyone getting too audacious and groovey... PC-1 is not a general-purpose conditioner.... Unless you apply it to a component set for 230V or equipped with an autoranging power supply, you are likely to blow the component all together, with much pops, scented fumes of fried plastics, and sudden knashing of teeth... Your theeth that is!

See the following section of the Rowland Knowledge base for 24 article on operational and compatibility information on PC-1:

http://jeffrowlandgroup.com/kb/categories.php?categoryid=23

Saluti, G.
Matt

Looks like you going to have great time with your system.
I just don't understand that general warning not to do business with Europeans as if all US audiophiles worked for mother Teresa. A thief is a thief no matter where he lives and everyone needs to take every measure of caution when spending big $$ on equipment.

Source is a PS Audio Perfectwave 2 DAC being fed by a Core Audio modified Mac Mini running iTunes and Amarra via a Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB cable.

Matt - you will have to try the Lynx Hilo. I am sure a few people can attest to the qualities of it as a pure DAC. Your system will appear nice and clean. Finally if you want to, you can eliminate the preamp altogether.

You should inform Audiogon about the fraud on the Futura so they will remove the user. He is up selling the same speakers again.