cheaper coupling caps on a budget

hi, I don't know about you but it seems that all of the latest capacitors out there have become so expensive that I can no longer afford to try them. I am looking for a coupling cap for my tube amp that has high resolution but without grain or glare, I dont really like oil caps , they sound to rolled off for me. Does anyone know of a cap that sounds as good as [ fill in your favorite expensive cap here ] but that is cheap, I will need 8 of them, and they are 2.7 value, at 500 volt, thanks, chris
chrissain
This place has decent prices on Solens,but I never bought from them.That is about the only 2.7 I see there.[http://www.percyaudio.com/Catalog.pdf]
Chrissain, if you search the web, you'll find all the tube techies say:

"Changing the coupling caps to smaller values reduces bass, while changing to larger values adds more bass."

I recommend getting closer to the original value (2.7 uF). I understand you can't fit a large cap in the chassis which is why you went with 2.2, but this is probably causing your bass problem. You should have eight .47 M-cap Supremes laying around that you pulled out. Solder them in parallel with the 2.2 so your total value comes to 2.67. You don't have to buy anything to find out how it sounds. It might solve your problem.

If you want expert tube mod advice, contact Jim McShane. He's very well respected and a pleasure to work with.

Best of luck with your project!
Since you have the others,try paralleling.You do sound like you have anything to loose.It may get you back into music for now,or may sound good.
Since you want save money.How about capacitors made by ELECTRONIC CONCEPTS.Polypropylene capacitor 3.0,600 volts.That is close to original value of 2.7.Since space is an issue these are few milli meters smaller than mundorf 2.2.For 8 capacitors about 80 dollars.This is where i order all my capacitors.They are located in USA.If you want more info just send me a email.

Thanks