equating class A to class AB SS amps?

I am confused about how to equate and compare class A to class AB solid state amps. Is there a conversion factor, or is it not that simple? I have heard people say that "this 30 wpc class A amp is easily equivalent to 150 wpc class AB" etc.

The two top Luxman integrated amps cost about the same. One is the 30 wpc pure class A L-590Aii, and the other is the 120 wpc class AB L-509u. How do these amps equate or compare to each other? Which is more powerful (or are they about the same?)? I am confused!

Regards,

Mark

toronto416
I noticed now "Many thanks for all the helpful replies! Now I am less confused"

Mark, I hope you don't feel more confused after my post (I tend to complicate things).

One other thought here is this... listening levels.

Listening levels are achieved only by the input of power to the speakers... ergo, watts. Class A watts, Class D watts or Class A/B watts... it'll take a certain amount of them to produce a certain SPL.

AS often as I've come over this issue, I continually forget the where abouts of the conversion chart online.

The amount of watts needed to produce the level you desire at times going into your speakers is quite important! An insufficient amount can put them in harms way either immediately or over some period of time if they are in fact being under driven, or starved for power, when trying to achieve the levels you wish now and then.

80% of the music is made in the first 20 watts.

But if the Verity's aren't very eff, or have some severe impedance drops with some freqs, more power is surely going to be needed than those first 20 watts.

I'm no paint peeling listener myself usually. 85-90% of the time I'm under 90db SPL. But there are those times one may wish to twirl the fun knob up.

Don't risk downtime or addded expense by runnnig with insufficient power.

Just a thought no one had brought up yet.

Have fun.
In general, I love tube amps. I know this is a generalisation, but the solid state amps I have found listenable to, were nearly all Class A, the Aleph 3 being the best. I would love to hear the new integrated based on the XA30, I expect that will be quite special.
Otherwise, I found an edge, lack of musicality, harshness, call it what you will, to class A/B, SS amps. The only exception was the Lavardin IT, which was very nice indeed.
Mark
Are you buying new?Who carries Luxman in Toronto?I got a ML 27.5 and yes it's class AB but boy does this amp ever sing!
Regards
George