Creek 5350 SE, Channel Dropout

I have a Creek 5350 SE Integrated Amplifier that has served me incredibly well for over a decade in my modest Bedroom system. However; I'm now experiencing intermittant channel dropout more and more frequently. Making it difficult to pinpoint is the fact that it can happen in either channel at different times with various source signals (TV, Cds, FM, DVDs). The sound at first crackles, distorts and then stops completely until I rap the unit with my knuckle for a moment and then, sometimes, the sound returns as it should (or not). I want to save my knuckles and spare the amp. I've eliminated all of the external possibilities such as interconnects, speaker cables and other components. I'm sure it's the amplifier in some way.

I found a thread here on Audiogon that identifies a possible problem with the ribbon cable wiring inside the amplifier? A suggested possible solution was to substitute the ribbon cable with point to point wiring instead.

As an experienced former lab tech, I believe I'm capable of performing this mod if it's a good idea?

MY QUESTION: Can anyone reccomend a high quality wire, solder and source for these items to use in this mod that would replace the ribbon cable?

Any additional experience you can share regarding this complaint would be most appreciated. I really love this amp and would gladly go the distance to make it last another 10 years or more.

I thank you in advance for your wisdom and experience.

Very Sincerely,

REL2

PS Does anyone have a schematic for this unit? I can't find one anywhere.
rel2
Thank you Danlib1 for the suggestion. I should have thought to do it myself before posting this question in open forum. I know Mike Creek to address this type thing on his own without using a forum like this. There's no question that Mike knows his stuff regarding both stereo and his own design ideas. mea culpa. I just sent a letter to Mike to see where it goes. I'll let everyone know when a solution becomes known.

I can only add that I hope anyone else using/owning Creek equipment has enjoyed it as much as I have mine so far. Creek components are a true bargain in affordable high end audio.
I emailed Creek with a question about my Destiny Integrated and Mike Creek was right back to me within a day with a very detailed response. I think he will be the best bet for you to get to the bottom of your problem with your amp.

I agree with you on Creek stuff. I've had a couple of the 4330 integrateds and recently purchased a Destiny integrated for my bedroom system and it's a keeper for sure. It's a big slice of what you get in gear that costs a lot more I think.
If you are in the US, you can also call Roy Hall at Music Hall. However, CES starts this week, so call Monday or you may have to wait. As for excellent internal wire, I can recommend the OHNO 21 gauge hook up wire from Audience.
A volume pot might have corrosion on its contact surfaces for one of your channel.
Another reason might stay in dry solder joints that need to be inspected.
Creek responded to my request by confirming that it's a tarnish issue on the ribbon connector pins joining the pre-amp to the volume control PCB and power amplifier PCB. They suggested connecting/dis-connecting these connections several times to wipe the contact surfaces clean. I did this and followed up with a thin coating of Pro Gold on the pins before buttoning it all up.

First off, the repair worked superbly.

Secondly, the system sounded better than I had ever heard it before. I can think of several possible reasons for this but rather than try to analyze the "Why" of it, I'm simply basking in the wonderful outcome of this interesting odyssey. I listened to it for about 12 hours today and simply marvel at the improvement.

Thank you again to all of you who shared your thoughts with me on this question.

REL2