stereo amp vs monoblocks, any advantages?

Are there any advantages to using a pair of monoblocs as opposed to a single stereo amp, apart from extra power, that is. If so, what do you gain sonically from this?
thomastrouble
I'll have to go with cool also. Monobloc...man, that just sounds cool. Even cooler when you spell it without the "k".
"I cannot think of a manufacturer who builds the exact same amp as stereo, dual-mono in a single chassis, and monoblocks."

Not listed on the Odyssey website, but I have a Stratos "Dual Mono" that is supposed to be a "two amps in one box" design; it does require two power cords. I have no idea how it compares to the Monoblocks; it would be fun to do a shootout. Any Stratos Monoblock Owners in St. Louis? John
With monos, you can put the amps closer to the speakers and use shorter cables.

I was a mono only macho man for a while, but now perfer a one box solution to KISS. (keep it simple stupid) and after 30+ years of listing, I don't think monos really provide much behond the macho factor) of course maybe I played way too load and now can't notice a few db of cross talk. lol
The main advantage of using mono blocks over stereo amps is that typically, stereo amps use components, chasis, cords, etc. that are shared between channels. With this you get crosstalk. Also, and more importantly, a stereo amp has to drive both speakers, where a mono amp drives only one speaker or better yet, particular individual drivers in a particular speakers, therefore less load on a particular mono amp vs. the stereo amp. The same logic that tells audiophiles to get separates apply with mono amps vs. stereo amps. To get even more crazy, you want each mono amp on a separate power line back to your circuit breaker main panel and on different phases, not the same. That way loading is split on the different phases coming in. Speaker cables have larger current loading and voltages, thereby having larger power loses on the speaker cables. So shorter the cable the better. The mono amps can be placed right next to each speaker and the cables from the amps to the speakers can be really short. This makes a big difference electrically. Longer interconnect cables don't hurt nearly as much, especially balanced. However, if your stereo amp is well designed and stupidly powerful, it really shouldn't matter much. I have found that biamping the speakers (amp for the mid range/highs and another for the bass, for each speaker) make more of a difference than using mono blocks for each speaker vs. stereo amps.

enjoy.
Minorl hits all the important points. On my system, following his monos/short SCs/separate dedicated outlets formula pays big dividends to my system.