SS Amp to replace VAC 300.1 in a side-ways move?

I've owned several very nice high-end solid state amplifiers. But, nothing has given me the same musical enjoyment as my VAC-300.1, which is a tube design.

I may be making some changes in my home, in which a tube amp will no longer be very practical.

Now being so hooked on that VAC tube "magic," I am concerned that I just will not be as satisfied, if I go back to a solid state amp.

I am not necessarily looking for a big list of SS amp recommendations to check out. More specifically, I am looking to hear from folks who have gone from the 300.1 (or similar class of tube amp, VTL, etc) to a solid state amp, AND BEEN HAPPY WITH THEIR SS SELECTION, over the long-haul.

Is there a solid state power amp that truely has the magic of a tube amplifier?

Thanks.
barrelchief
Simple:
1. Don't make the changes, OR
2. Figure out a way to accommodate the 300.1 if changes made, +/or
3. Get a 2nd 300.1. If you can fit 1, you can probably fit 2 and the improvement is jaw-dropping, depending on your system.

Had a McCormack DNA-500 before my first 300.1. To my surprise, no contest. I've tried a number of expensive SS amps since and instead just ended up getting a 2nd VAC 300.1. Guess this doesn't help you too much, but I don't think you'll be satisfied changing to ANY SS amp at this point after VAC. Just my opinion....

They are not very practical for me either (close to the floor, exposed to big dogs in my living room, wedged into tight places, etc), but the sound more than compensates for the inconvenience. So far, no dogs burned, no tubes shorted by dog hair, no fires, and many happy hours of listening.
Is there a solid state power amp that truely has the magic of a tube amplifier?

IMHO, no.

There are SS amps that have qualities that you may value in a tube amp, while possessing other qualities (and weaknesses) of their own.

The only time I've heard VAC was at RMAF and that was very impressive, as I recall. I honestly don't know if was the same amp you have. If you really love that sound, I'm with Fplanner2010: try to stick with it for a while rather than selling something you'll regret losing.

That said, I was hooked on tubes for many years and didn't think I'd ever go back to SS. The Modwright KWA 150 was the amp that did it for me. That amp possesses the midrange magic of tubes while adding the extension and power of SS. I'd put it on your short list. Disclaimer: Dan Wright is a client - I do his photography and graphic design. I would certainly look into the usual suspects too in the high-achiever SS club led off by Pass. I have also enjoyed hearing Ayre as well as Edge. I don't know that any of those have really brought tubes to mind on listening, as the KWA does for me, but I wouldn't kick'em out of bed either. I do prefer the elements of midrange palpability and soundstage prowess and the KWA excels there.....but again, I haven't heard any SS amps that sound just like a tube amp in every which way. Then again, there are so many amps and so little time - mine is only one opinion with very limited exposure to what you are asking about. There are all kinds of SS amps that strive for that quality and I certainly haven't heard a tiny fraction of what is out there. The VAC you have will undoubtedly leave big shoes to fill if you give it up. If you can do some comparisons without giving up your current amp, I would go that route.
I know what you mean, a few months ago I sold my BAT 150s se only because they put out way too much heat during the summer months. I truly love the way that amp sounded, and didn’t want to part with them. At present I’m living with a Krell 402 EVO, it’s not tube like, but I can live with this for awhile in fact it sounds pretty good for a SS Amp.
So far the responses are exactly what I expected. Thanks guys.

Any other thoughts/suggestions?
I once had a Plinius SA100 MKIII (class A design) and sometimes it was close to tubes in the midrange but still not the real thing

fwiw