Accuphase or Musical fidelity for Focal Micro Be

I have a Musical Fidelity A5 combo (cd player and integrated amp) driving a pair of Focal Micro Utopia Be augmented with a REL Stentor 3 subwoofer. The A5 combo is a good match for the Focals, the system is very musical, with good details, and never fatigue.

Recently, a dealer offer me the chance to upgrade my A5 combo to a Musical fidelity Nu Vista combo, i.e. M3 integrated amp and the 3D cd player.

At the same time, I have been offered a very good deal on a Accuphase system, i.e. the E-408 integrated and the DP-67 cd player.

The Accuphase route should be about 1000 euros more expensive (assuming that eventually I will be able to get a decent price for the A5 combo). However, as I am after the best sound this is not really an issue.

Since it is quite difficult to listen these electronics on my speakers I would really appreciate any feedback from people that had experience with these electronics.

I thank you in advance.
nvp

Stan and Rrsclyde, thank you for the quick replies. I have quite a few questions for you guys. I hope you do not mind.

Stan,

1) Shouldn't I be worried about the fact the the NuVista electronics are almost 10 years old?
2) How sensitive is the volume control of the M3 amp? Is it usable late at night when one needs to vary the volume in small increments? (The A5 performs quite poorly in this regard.)
3) I know you do not have the NuVista 3D player, but do you think this player is still a top player by today's standards, or is it easily outperformed buy decent new players between 2-3k? 10 years is really a long time for digital sources.

Rrsclyde,

Can you elaborate more on the differences between the E-408 and E-530 amplifiers. Also, do you know how these two units compare to the new Accuphase models, i.e. E-350, E-450 and E-550. Is it worth buying the new models? Do I really need the power of the 400 series to drive the Micro Be?

Thanks again.
Nvp,

In my experience, the E-530 was considerably smoother and more refined than the E-408 (and bear in mind that I thought the E-408 was a great amp). Besides being pure Class A, I think the pre section of the E-530 was quite a bit more transparent. The E-408 obviously with much higher pwr rating might have had a bit more 'slam' and maybe a bit more on the 'foregiving' side (although I don't think I've ever seen any Accuphase products described as too analytical). Unless you listen to heavy metal type rock at really loud volumes, I can't imagine that you would need more pwr than the E-530 provides; it drove my Micro's to insane volume with no sweat (and retained its fabulous smooth resolution even at high volume). IMHO, the E-408 is one of the classic great ss integrateds, but the E-530 is a definite notch above, up there in a much smaller class of truly top of class ss integrated.

I have no experience with any of the new Accuphase amps.

Happy listening and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Randy
Hi,

Only a couple of comments. I believe that Utopias are great speakers that deserve decent applification. I do not think that A5 Musical Fidelity combo is capable of squeezing everything out of these Focals - I do believe that you need something better. Much better ...

I am not sure that Accuphase would be a right move. I had a long listen at my home with Accu E-307 and Focal Electra 1027 Be and that was not working exceptionally well. Saying that, Accus in class A are different amps than these E-307, E-308 or E-408 ... Maybe that could work well together ... I do not know - never tried it.

But my suggestion is that you take a look into Pass Labs offering. Some very interesting amps ... A lot depends of course on your budget, but the starting point could be Pass Labs X-250.5. It does work well with Focals ... very well indeed ...
I would not worry that the M3 is ten years old. It is actually the newest amp I have. Yes , 10 years is a long time for digital players. Ten years most of them were much better than the ones being made now. The high point in general CD performance was the early 90s. My DAX is from 1992 and is very close to some current $10,000 ones according to tests in HIFICRITIC. Most current DACs use parts intended for other applications, the big Japanese electronics companies took their best designers off CD years ago. I would not get the NuVista player as it seems that MF does not support them very well. It would still perform well but I wouldn't want to take the chance. This does not apply to the amps, whose parts are available from other sources if necessary, I haven't had trouble with the volume control but this is a subjective area.
its very difficult to go wrong w/ the accuphase integrated! they are among the best i've tried and owned.
they are warm and smooth but detailed (not in your face).
I've heard a few systems where the marriage of the accuphase & JM labs are a match made in heaven.
good luck!