Whats on your turntable tonight?

For me its the first or very early LP's of:
Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1
I took a couple out of town trips recently and of course bought many used records -- but had the chance to pick up original copies of two Jimmy Webb LP's, including his debut, and ultimately passed after checking them out on my portable player. Oh well.

Anyway, here's a sampling of what I did get (can't claim it's all on my TT tonight -- most of it still needs cleaning!):

Lee Morgan -- "The Lee Morgan Quintet" [Vee-Jay, 1965] He cut two LP's in 1960 for this famed Chi-town waxery ("Here's Lee Morgan" and "Expoobidient"), which this set apparently compiles tracks from. Liner quote from Lee in 'Downbeat': "Dizzy, Miles, Kenny Dorham, and maybe Thad Jones are the only modernists with an original style. I like a lot of other trumpet men...they're all good musicians, but they -- and include me -- we're all playing more of less alike."

The Beau Brummels -- "Beau Brummels '66" [WB] Their 'contemporary covers' LP, a mission beneath this group's considerable songwriting talent and one I imagine was mandated by their new label, but which they nevertheless more than did justice.

The Detriot Emeralds -- "I'm In Love With You" [Westbound, '73] The final LP of this criminally forgotten funky soul vocal group's original three on Westbound, good but not as great as the first (which I own), still searching for the second.

Link Wray -- "Bullshot" [Visa, '79] The best of his post-60's work IMO, largely the same group as on the 'with Robert Gordon' records but focused on instros.

Spencer Davis Group/Traffic -- "Here We Go 'Round The Mulberry Bush" Sndtrk. [UA, '68] Here goes Stevie Winwood around the group-go-round.

Baby Cortez -- "The Isley Brothers Way" [T-Neck, '70] Sounds like backing tracks from contemporaneus Bros. Isley albums with the vocals removed and organ added (the "Dave" was also apparently removed). Adulterated genius.

Billy Lee Riley -- "Big Harmonica Special" [Mercury, '64] Yes, the same BLR of Sun Records' "Flying Saucers Rock And Roll" and "Red Hot" immortality, and cat can blow. Seems they failed to tear it up at the discotheques to this one -- wow, how could harmonica miss? -- but loads of fun anyway. Tunes include "Bo Diddley", "Memphis", "My Babe", "Susie-Q", "High-Heel Sneakers", "Kansas City"...you get the picture.

Sonny Rollins -- "Alfie" Sndtrk. [Impulse!, '66] Been looking for a really clean copy for years -- score!

Friedrich Gulda -- From Vienna With Jazz [Columbia, '64] Have a couple of this classical pianist's other jazz dates, all good. Someone else would doubtless be more qualified than I to comment on his classical work and the controversies his jazz forays made in that world, but he's definitely the real deal on the keys and a memorable composer too, kind of like Andre Previn I suppose but without the pop schmaltz side.

Max Roach -- "Deeds Not Words" [Riverside, '6?] Repackaged collection of thee drummer's recordings featuring Booker Little, George Coleman, Art Davis, plus Ray Draper on tuba!

Terry Black -- "The Black Plague" [ARC, '65] A Canadian attempt at manufacturing a teen idol about a few years too late, this kid was apparently plucked off a Toronto TV dance show, dressed in Beatle duds while still sporting a Ricky Nelson hairdo, and hustled into the studio with a boatload of great Sloan/Barri tunes. He can even sing.

The Reds -- "Stronger Silence" [Stony Plain, '81] Have their late '70's A&M disks, this sounds a bit less punk and more new wave, but still with an edge, sort of like early Stranglers. Singer is reminiscent of the guy in Wire, even though they're from Philly.

The Astronauts -- "For You From Us" [RCA, '65] Same crew who proved Coloradans could surf on guitars with '63 classic hit "Baja", not as distinctive as their great early instro LP's but they do actually sing well too, and I prefer this to their more common 'live on campus' LP's from the in-between period.

Manfred Mann -- "The Mighty Quinn" [Mercury, '67] Song titles don't get much more Sixties than "Ha Ha Said The Clown" or "Semi-Detached Suburban Mr. James".

Roy Harper -- "Flashes From The Archives Of Oblivian" [Chrysalis, '74] 2-disk live concert set by the man Led Zep and Pink Floyd lionized. Front cover pictures him with his pants off and, um, matters well in hand so to speak, while on the back one he's sniffing his pit. Sleeve design credit reads, "Continuous Argument between Roy Harper and Hipgnosis (and it shows)". The orchestrated version of "Another Day" is beautiful beyond words.

The Esquires -- "Get On Up And Get Away" [Bunky, '68] Soul vocal group from Milwaukee who recorded in Chicago, the LP title splits right down the middle as the titles of their two hit singles. Sounds almost exactly like The Impressions, but no Curtis Mayfield involvement so far as I know. One of my best finds of the month.

Gun - S/T [Epic, '69] Power trio's debut (I already owned and dug the followup, "Gunsight"), and -- just as with Cream -- in the liners they're refered to as "The Gun". Includes UK hit "Race With The Devil", later covered to good effect by Girlschool. Lead guit Adrian Curtis would go on to revert his name back to Gurvitz and help lead an Army with Ginger Baker, completing the Cream-y circle. Rockingly avoids the sludge and blooze that infests most of these affairs, reminds me a bit of the Amboy Dukes.

The McCoys -- "You Make Me Feel So Good" [Bang, '66] Followup to the "Sloopy" LP (which I also have) features yet more Feldman/Goldstein/Gottehrer-produced and co-written gems, such as the insanely catchy "Say Those Magic Words", plus a killer version of Richie Valens' "C'mon Let's Go", and even one Rick Derrigner -- uh, Zehringer -- original to leaven the Pomus/Shuman/FGG onslaught. Rock'n'roll hootchy-koo indeed!

Jerry Goldsmith -- "Our Man Flint" Sndtrk. [20th Century Fox, '66] This souvenier from one of the ginchiest films ever made stands as proof that you can find almost anything if you hunt for it long enough. Bouillabaise never tasted the same again!

Jim Messina & The Jesters -- S/T [Thimble, '7?] Reish of '64 Audio Fidelity LP originally released as "The Dragsters". Yes, the same dude from Buffalo Springfield and Poco, who was half to blame for Loggins And Messina, started out as a surf/hot rod instro guitarist, a damn fine one too.

Best singles (not a lot of 45 action on this expedition):

Carl Perkins -- "Pink Pedal Pushers"/"Jive After Five" [Columbia, '58] The lead-off volley of his post-Sun career.

Storey Sisters -- "Bad Motorcycle"/"Sweet Daddy" [Cameo, '58] There was another Storey Sisters who were hillbilly country. These soul sisters were from Philly and this was their one-shot, incredibly motorvatin' R&B hit, featuring the great session guitarist 'Wild' Jimmy Spruill ("Kansas City", "Tossin' And Turnin'", "Fannie Mae" were just some of the bigger hits he played on). If you don't dance, you're dead. Vrun, vrun, vrun!
Bruce Springsteen "Tunnel of Love"
Johnny Winter "Johnny Winter"
Madonna " The Immaculate Collection"
Beth Orton - Daybreaker on Heavenly

Beth Orton - Central Reservation on Heavenly

Beth Orton - Trailer Park on Heavenly Ok, this one is a CD.

Tried twice before and finally caught here live. She visits the colonies too rarely for my liking. Beth performed at the Majestic Theatre on Thursday in Detroit. The place is a dump but she sounded stellar, very nice show and needless to say she's not too tough on the eyes either. The new material from "Comfort of Strangers" is quite good and will be out on vinyl straight away.
Happy Listening!
LP's

Percy Sledge -- Any Day Now [comp. Charly, '84, rec. bet. '66-'73] "When A Man Loves A Woman"
Tiny Bradshaw -- Breakin' Up The House [comp. Charly '85, rec. bet. '50-'52] "The Train Kept A-Rollin'"
The Moonglows -- Their Greatest Sides [comp. Chess, '84 rec. bet. '55-'57] "Sincerely"
Deon Jackson -- His Greatest Recordings [comp. Solid Smoke, '84 rec. bet. '65-'69] "Love Makes The World Go 'Round"
Honey Cone -- Sweet Replies [Hot Wax, '71] "Want Ads"
Charles Mingus -- Let My Children Hear Music [Columbia '71]
Lambert, Hendericks & Ross -- Sing Ellington [Columbia six-eye mono, '60]

CD's

The Superfine Dandelion -- S/T [comp. Sundazed, '00/rec. bet. '66-'68] "Bottle Up And Go" (as The Mile Ends)
Hava Narghile -- Turkish Rock Vol. 1 [comp. Dionysus, '02/rec. bet. '65-'75]
Dance With Me -- The Autumn Teen Sound (Nuggets From The Golden State) [comp. Big Beat, '94/rec. bet. '64-'68] Autumn label co-founded by SF DJ Tom Donahue, best known for hits by Bobby Freeman and The Beau Brummels (not artists on this disk), most sessions produced by Sylvester Stewart AKA Sly Stone