Zero Feedback: Atmasphere vs. BAT

Do Atmasphere and BAT have similar sound because they both use low or zero feedback tube designs?

I am considering these amps for my 8 ohm 89db Spendor S8e's.

I am looking for smoothness, Transparency and sound on the warm side. I am leaning toward a BAT VK75, it can be upgraded and it runs AB instead of the hot class A. You can also upgrade to VK 150. From what I can gather the 140 watt MA1 is superior in the area of dynamics, that would be the main reason to go Atmasphere to the best of my knowledge as OTL is super fast and more of a rock out style.

I am looking for used gear that can be supported over the long term by a good company.
128x128scottlanterman
"...if you want to have a class A set up,you gotta have effecient speakers if you want the option."
I beg to differ.
Sorry about that Unsound.

You can purchase a Krell KSA 200 or a Threshold, or a Pass XA200 or something else in the BIG Class A Tube range like TRL Tube amps ot ATM1.

It's a lot of energy and possibly big upfront cost going that route. I stand corrected. Still looks like "Gold Plated Decibels" when you factor in your energy bill and a lot of heat in the summer if you go big class A.

Best Regards,
Scott
I just wanted to jump in and add a few thoughts, being a 20+ year Atma-sphere user (and now a dealer).

The OTL impedance matching issue with speakers is not as critical as one might think. I am currently using a 4 ohm speaker (with MA-1's) with the Speltz Zero autoformer to bring it up to 8 ohms. That being said, I am soon going to be trying a 16 ohm speaker, which I won't need the Zero with.

As far as heat, I believe I have heard it said that even class A solid state gets probably as hot as Atma amps. I can attest to the fact that the newest Atma designs run cooler than older ones, and one can always take out tubes and run with less power for summer time usage.

In my opinion, getting a great class A tube amp is the best way to get off the high end merry go round, at least as far as amplification is concerned.

And if that upgrade bug does eventually hit, rolling in NOS tubes are a great way to significantly increase the quality of sound for minimal cost.