What do you see as the downside of tubes?

I have decided on getting a tube amp and it will be the integrated Mastersound 300B driving a pair of Living Voice Avatars, so at least that decision has been taken.

My main question is what you see as downsides of having a tube amp. As I've decided on getting an integrated tube it's really about what the downsides are I might want to know about beforehand.

The ones I'm aware are the following.

-The tubes need to be replaced and in the case of a 300B this will be somewhat costly.

-Bias is another issue but I'm not sure how big an issue. Do you plug in your meter every so often or just when you roll tubes or replace a dead one? The meter as such isn't gonna be a big issue as I don't think it's that expensive.

-Heat won't be a big issue as we have no kids nor a nosy dog that could get burned. Hope my electricity bill isn't gonna go through the roof, but then again, I can't quite imagine that.

I'd appreciate if you could add whatever your experiences are regarding this question are as I'd like to know more before I buy it.

Thanks
krauti
Dave_b I was wondering what your view of "the tubes getting in the way" means?
Do you feel that the solid state gear you listed equals or
excels better than tubes as far as being able present the
being there experience?
I enjoyed solid state before tubes but it just didn't seem to be able to reach that goal for me.
I respect what Dave-B shared with us, and I know many friends who also prefer the sound of SS over Tube designs and that is fine... even mixing tube and solid states in the audio chain brings very good results to some systems.

A world full of colours, options and tastes is what keeps this hobby interesting.
Rleff, what I mean is that even in my best ARC reference based system, I found a subtle dulling of transients and a fine layer of film that precluded me from feeling directly connected to the music. In other words, if I put on a great live jazz recording I know well and have heard on various systems over the years, it should fill my listening space with energy and excitement...more "thereness" if you will. The feeling I expect to hear is like walking into a live jazz club while the band is smokin'. That energy, vibe and "aliveness" is what better SS does for me over the many virtues of tubes:O)
>>07-23-09: Dave_b
No, it's called having ears Audiofeil.<<

Very bad ears apparently.

>> It's all good fun...unless someone invites YOU Audiofeil.<<

Don't need an invite here; least of all from you rookie.

>>Aren't you out of business yet?<<

Actually my business is quite strong at the moment. Better than 95% of others from what I'm hearing.

Lots of tube gear from people who really have a grasp on audio.

You wouldn't know any of them.
In defense of Dave_b here, I understand what he has written. As a tube diehard here, I have owned many tube preamps (ARC SP-10, LS5, BAT P10/31SE, Aesthetix Io/Callisto Sig) in the last 25 years that did indeed have a layer of grain and haze compared to the ultimately transparent solid state models that I have heard: Krell, Mark Levinson, klyne, Spectral. But these solid state products tend to be dimensionally flat compared to the tube products I have listed. But the above tube products had a level of musical realism that the sterile solid state products could not match.

No matter how "transparent" the sound may be, if the notes are instantly truncated and the harmonic overtones die rather quickly as well, I am not interested. Every time I have tried another preamp (line stage) in my system, I go for piano music. And then I run upstairs to hit a few keys on the piano. It's amazing and quite sad at how many line stages, tube products included, fail this test. But a few tube products nail it unlike any solid state line stage I have tried. And this is why I still have no tolerance for a solid state preamp. Surely there must be one that stands out from the crowd, but I have not heard it.

As for the issue of getting a preamp that excells in the 3D and clarity departments, my quest is over with the Aria WV. The other products I owned are quite a ways back from this performance. And with a little effort with trying various tubes in the line and phono stages and the PS, this product can be taken to a whole new level or performance than its stock EH/Sovtek tubes.

With tube products, and a lot of effort and patience, I can tune the system to my priorities and to the room to achieve a great balance of tonal coherency, dynamic contrasts and 3D. With solid state products I am stuck with the sound of the base product. At best I can move the speakers around or use cables as tonal bandaids to integrate the system to the room. But I have little to no control of the dynamics or dimensionally.

Knowing what I found out about tube variety, I will not buy amps, and preamps. The cost is just too high.
This is total nonsense. Trying a budget product and giving up on tubes because of a few problems is hardly a valid reason to dismiss tubes wholeheartedly. I have discovered a number of small signal tubes in the $30-50 per pair that quite easily destroy tubes selling these days at $500 or more. But it takes a well built product to show the strengths and differences.