What do you see as the downside of tubes?

I have decided on getting a tube amp and it will be the integrated Mastersound 300B driving a pair of Living Voice Avatars, so at least that decision has been taken.

My main question is what you see as downsides of having a tube amp. As I've decided on getting an integrated tube it's really about what the downsides are I might want to know about beforehand.

The ones I'm aware are the following.

-The tubes need to be replaced and in the case of a 300B this will be somewhat costly.

-Bias is another issue but I'm not sure how big an issue. Do you plug in your meter every so often or just when you roll tubes or replace a dead one? The meter as such isn't gonna be a big issue as I don't think it's that expensive.

-Heat won't be a big issue as we have no kids nor a nosy dog that could get burned. Hope my electricity bill isn't gonna go through the roof, but then again, I can't quite imagine that.

I'd appreciate if you could add whatever your experiences are regarding this question are as I'd like to know more before I buy it.

Thanks
krauti
Mapman; I have a b&k 747 tube tester and check tubes every 6 months. I think visual and audible changes are a indication as well to check tubes.
Also I kept a bias adjustment log when I had amps with manual bias adjustments; When bias starting to drift I would pay closer attention to that output tube.
I know many people will think this is extra work but I have several $$$ invested in my amps and pre amp and just want to keep them running at their very best;much like a person who maintains their car.
Rleff,

Thanks.

I know that it is possible for oneself to keep tube devices in proper working order.

Personally I just haven't done it for a while and never with an expensive hiogh end tube amp and was curious what tools and procedures people use with their high end amps these days.

Like most good things in life, there is some work and know-how involved to maintain anything that is worthwhile.

Not all who like good sound are cut out for this kind of thing though, so I just think people should be made aware of what goes into keeping a good tube amp in good working order, that's all.

Back when tubes were king, into the late 70's, people did it all the time.

Back in those days when I worked at Lafayette Radio and Radio Shack, there was a tube tester in each store, and we used to help people check their tubes as a regular service.

Replacement tubes were stocked in-store and sold regularly as were many common electronic parts.

I sold many a tube and don't recall exact tube prices, but I do not recall ever selling a tube that cost more than $15-20 back then.
Well, the more often I come back here the more I known that I'l stick with my original decision to get the 300B amp.

Tinkering with things I do like and biasing the tubes and keeping a log (thanks Rleff, I like that idea) is a good idea to keep track of things.

The speakers I have I did buy knowing they'd be a better match for a tube amp than other speakers (I shall not say good match as surely someone would say there are much better ones) and so I better get that tubeamp and find out about the "magic".

And now as I have a day off I shall go fishing :)
Most amps have safety measures in place if a tube goes bad (or is bad right out of the gate). I bought a Rogue Tempest II integrated back in February and apparently UPS dropped it while it was being shipped. Among other damage, one of the tubes was bad (Rogue tests everything before shipment). When I plugged the tube in after receiving the amp, I found out it was a "runaway" as the bias on the tube pinned the needle all the way to the right and the tube popped the corresponding fuse. So a popped fuse, a little bit of smoke, some cussing and that was it. No damage to the speakers, no damage to the amp (other than what UPS had done to it already, unfortunatley).

Rogue took the Tempest II back and instead I went with a Stereo 90 that they custom modded for me (which took another month of waiting to receive), but aside from the waiting I couldn't be happier.

Tube amps are not exactly hassle free, but they're typically not a pain in the #ss either, unless you end up with a bad apple (and what manufacturer doesn't have a dud every once in a while?).
Mapman-Lafayette Radio there's a store from the past;we had several in Buffalo,NY and I always like checking out their equipment.
Krauti- Glad you liked my bias log;helped me a lot;I never had a tube blast out a speaker driver when it failed and I believe 100% with Ralph from Atmasphere that design is key.
I am not familiar with the output tube you are asking about but there sure are lots of feedback on the thread you started.