Spectron amplifier - new black faceplate?

Hi,

Spectron Audio web site states that they have new black faceplates and I wonder if someone has Spectron amp with this look? I am considering to get their monoblocks.

It seems (from their web site) that they are on the rise - hiring new people, getting new reviews, even new Remote Sense cables... interesting

Thanks
Mike
michael_moskowich
Simon,
I don't understand this statement. please explain..

we do not provide enough power co represent musical peaks WITHOUT DISTORTIONS i.e. effortless.

Thanks,
Lee
Hello Lee,

It is not big deal to create hugely powerful amp. Just place biggest transformers you can find into power supply, give bazzilion farads filtering capacitors and place into output stage hundreds of FETs , for example (plus heatsinks and few more small things).

With such amplifier you will get as much power as you desire. The problem of course is that you are not after power but after music. Music is sweet, seductive, warm etc. To hear it you need to remove all garbage (distortions) which amplifier will add. You done it and you have best amplifier in Universe. Its not terribly easy, as I am sure you are well aware of it. The problem increases with increased output. The greater output the greater distortions both in absolute sense and also proportionally -particularly in tube amplifiers. Its very difficult for me to find amplifier which does not produce huge ear-piercing distortions at musical peaks. [ tube is more pleasant for ear but its still distortion]. Note as some manufacturer describe thir amp as having "soft clipping" i.e. they say , yes sure we distort ...but so pleasantly that most of you will never hear it.

Spectron is not exception. While, I believe, its the most powerful amp in the industry and with lowest distortions at full output (at least as far as I know) when you provide more and more difficult load - Spectron will start produce measurable and audioble distortions too. Some customers of ours have one stereo, some two monoblocks, some three amps (one stereo and two monobocks) and some four monoblocks - with 14 kW peak power. All for one reason - to reduce distortions at peak and near peak and enjoy low or ultra low distortion (as the case with our monoblocks) music. Martin-Logan, Audio Analyses are a few of speakers with 4 monoblocks driving them.

I hope it helps.

Simon
I ordered some magnetic levitation isolation devices for my Spectron. I'll let you know what differences I hear, if any. Anyone else try these on their Spectron(s)?
Just received my magnetic levitation isolation devices and put them under my Spectron amp. Talk about instant gratification...all I can say is Wow! I am hearing more texture, clarity, delineation. I am hearing parts of music I have never heard before. They are made by Yeil M&C and I purchased them from Simon at MCV Consulting. Highly recommended!!!
Just hooked up a pair of Apogee Scintillas 1 ohm models (remember those - the "amp busters"). Now these might just be the best speakers ever made - planars that go down to 20Hz and true dipole tweeter ribbons. I must say that in bi-wired bridged mono block mode I found the Spectrons constrained as opposed to the headroom they have when driving my Martin Logans. Maybe the bridging drops the impedance load to below 1/2 ohm and the amps are not comfortable in this zone? Yet to try vertical or horizontal biamping.