are all amps equal

I have recently gotten the Mcintosh bug, but a friend of my who does a LOT or reading on the net says power output is the answer not the name. I am looking for the best sound I can get in the 3k$ range for my Usher Be 718s. I have looked at many used Mcintosh units in the 200 watt plus output area, but my friend says a new 250 watt Emotiva would be a better value. The Emotiva is around $800.
I would like some imput.. Thanks, Don
keslerd
your ears will tell you

I have not heard the Emotiva but have heard a few Mac amps and can say they are very nice
Well, there is Mcintosh and then there is everything else (this comment is both true and designed to for effect). What constitutes a better value is purely a matter of opinion. Mcintosh amps are expensive - you probably don't get a doubling in performance for a doubling in price. I auditioned every amplifier in the 100 watt plus range I could find within a driving distance of 100 miles. I ended up with a Mcintosh - so I thought it was a 'better value' than anything else. Some say that Mcintosh amps have their own sound (an amplifier really should not) - I don't disagree, again I chose a Mcintosh.
In my system are the Ushers, an Audio Research LS1 preamp (it is a hybird) or a Ming Da tube preamp modified by Response Audio (I swap the pre amps about once a month).The cd player is an Onkyo DX-7555. My present amp is ARC 150 watt ss.
While I am getting some help here, please take aim on the weakest link... Thanks..Don