What could I expect to hear from a Class A amp?

I have been interested for some time about what difference a Class A amplifier would make in comparison to what I am currently using. Right now I have a Classe Model Fifteen, which is the best amp I have ever owned...What could I expect to change if I moved to a Krell KSA-200, or even a KSA-50?
bearotti
Hi Almarg, I anticipated the questions you forwarded. The story of my visits to this dealer, to be honest, encompasses several visits. On one visit, I heard the 600.5 amps driving Apogee Scintillas, actually an even more ravenous ampere pig.

I use to own the Pass X 600 monos which I used driving my Scintillas. The ribbon array of the Full Range is very similar to the Scintillas. I was comparing the sound from the Scintilla powered by the 600.5 and the sound of the Full Range powered by the XA 100.

These Full Range speakers are not stock. They have been structurally reinforced, and the transformer loaded crossover has been chucked for a much simpler one. Ridding the speakers of it's transformer makes the speaker an even more torturous load for any amp. It was simply awe inspiring how a 100 watt amp can push the FRs to shocking loud levels, without any whimper.

Saying all that, I have to confess, the Pass sound from either amp does not approach the performance I enjoy with my class D system. Whereas the Pass 600 bloats the Scintilla's bass, my amps fully rule the Scintilla.

Next time I am there, we will replace the XA with my amps, the Pass XP -20 preanp for my Fire, the SCs for my ribbons, and even swap the sources. This should be fun, and instructive.
Muralman -- Thanks for the good clarifications. I must say that is probably the most compelling testimonial, among a great many that I've seen, to class D excelling in high current applications.

Enjoy!

Regards,
-- Al
Class D amp have miles to go, to even be remotley considered in the realm of pure Class A amps. Even with the attendent penalities of Class A operation of high cost, high heat, heavy chassis, the need to be powered 24/7, additional usage of power to your monthly bill. Even with that all against Class A amplifiers, once you hear and become accustom to the signature of Class A, there is no turning back.

I myself at the moment using a Class D amp in the PS Audio HCA 2 which I would never compare to a properly made Class A amp. While close, it is no cigar. No doubt that Class D will evolve in years to come, but not just yet. I have listen to the Rowland, Channel Island, Nu Force as well as the PS Audio I have here. The only Class D amp that comes close enough to warrant a close examination is the Rowland.

The rest are nothing more or less than contenders at this point in time.
Could somebody please comment about the 24/7 operation needed for Class A. Typically I heard that you want to warm it up for 30-60 minutes. Yet it seems to take about 4-5 hours before my ears could not distinguish a difference.

I definitely agree about the non-fatigue factor since your brain does not have to fill in. Before getting the XA60.5, it's like a love-hate thing I have with the stereo. I must listen to it because I love music. But about half an hour later, I got tired, somewhat disappointed, and turn on the TV instead.