mid fi choices NAD vs Adcom vs Rotel ... $400

I know its not a lot of money is this world. I want to start small and work my way up. I know i'll be buying older equipment. Is it just personal preference with these brands being considered to be the same class of equipment? I've also noticed some raves about a particular Yamaha and Onkyo model. Don't see too much about Denon, which i thought was in the same class. Anything else i should be searching for?
fivefasts
Right now Audio Advisor has the Cambridge 640A v2 on sale/closeout for $399.99, and you can get the factory-refreshed Onkyo A-9555 from Accessories4less with a 1-year warranty, also for $399.99. Deals on the Onkyo are drying up fast and accessories4less is running low on stock.

These two are definitely on the short list for sub-$1K integrateds. The Onkyo is competitive at its list price of $799, but sells most places for $699. At $400 or $500 it's just killer, incredibly clean, dynamic, and powerful sounding. It requires about 100 hrs of break-in.

The Cambridge is line stage only, but has preamp outputs. The Onkyo has a good built-in phono stage, but no pre-outs. I like them both but have a personal preference for the Onkyo.

I have been an audio enthusiast for 40 years and have owned a lot of vintage and used gear, and sold new and used retail in the '70s. But the Onkyo has shifted my paradigm: I'd now rather have the Onkyo A-9555 (which I do) than any used $400-500 amp that I can think of. I like it better than anything near the price, new or used, from Parasound or Adcom.
Buy a Harmon Kardon 3490 reciever on Amazon for $280. I love mine and I own much more expensive amplifiers.
I have had all three and found them all to be quite amazing at their respective price points. If I had to rate them, however, I would go with 1)Rotel 2)NAD 3)Adcom.
Hey Five.

Some questions:
> What speakers will you be driving?
> What Ohm rating is your speakers?
> What are the recommended power/watts for your speakers?

The lower the wattage you need to drive your speakers efficiently, the less expensive the amp.