Girlfriends and wifes, how do YOU cope?

I would be very interested in finding out how one manages to justify (or sneak in the home) expensive audio equipment without having to sell your soul to the Devil? It's quite a challenge for many of us I think. I heard of someone buying a Bel Canto DAC and telling his girlfriend that " Oh it's just a $ 100.00 power conditionner", or whatever. Seem like we need to get creative here if we can pursue this crazy hobby much longer! Regards All...
ampman66
I don't I have wife or girlfriend to contend with. However, I do have family and friends. I have learned to cope by not talking much about this hobby of ours. I kinda downplay the whole system.

This used to not be the case. Initially, when after a long absence, I started to return to this hobby my family and friends were supportive, i.e. "Oh he found a hobby. That's good. He works too much."

It started with an Ipod. The darn thing really fascinated me and gave me perspective on how it changed the world. So then I decided to replace my 19 or 20", 30+ year old Toshiba, CRT as my primary TV. I bought a Samsung 32" HDTV.

Then someone told me that I could run the TV sound through my receiver into my stereo speakers. BTW. My "receiver" was a 30+ year old Sansui stereo receiver that only had 1 channel working. So I hooked up one speaker to the A channel on one to the B channel and would select the A or B channel depending on where I was in the house when playing music.

We tried the hook-up of the TV to the receiver to see how it sounded coming through the stereo speakers rather than the TV. It sounded like s------t. But now I was really curious so I decided to bite the bullet and replace (finally) the receiver.

Long story short, in about 3.5 years I went from a 30+ year old receiver with one stereo channel working and a 15 to 20-year old Yamaha CD player and a similar-aged Yamaha dual cassette deck...

To an Ipod. To a Samsung 32"HDTV. To a Denon AVR 3808-CI, to a new Denon DM 2910 CD player, to a 5.1 channel surround system driven by Vienna Acoustics speakers--4 Mozart Grands (full range) and a Maestro center channel, a JL Audio fathom f112, a Pioneer KURO Elite flat panel and a few components I probably forgot about.

Oh and I also resurrected from the dead a 30+ year old Sansui Direct Drive turntable, then I put a Pickering cartridge on it and now am running a Denon DL-160 on it and then I added an EAR phono stage. And then I brought my old record collection into the living room +/- 500 records from storage. And there are still probably a couple of components I have forgotten about, not including the fact that I am still using the 20+ year old Yamaha gear (I had a bunch of cassettes also in storage).

As I said, when I first started down this path my family was supportive. We used to talk about equipment, go to stores together, demo my new purchases. We all enjoyed it.

But as I moved beyond the entry level, type product at the Best Buy and Circuit City and Fry's level, they started to think that maybe I had gone off the deep end. As an example. One time I was searching the 'Gon for turntables. A friend was over and I had him look at some of the turntables with me to get his $0.02 worth. Well, his $0.02 worth was, "Wow. That costs $900! That costs $1,200!! For a turntable?" The next day or so I saw another friend and he had this concerned look. Like he was thinking that I needed an "intervention". He says, "So I hear you're looking for a turntable. You know. You can get a really good turntable at Best Buy for about $200."

At some point our views had diverged. To a certain degree. My family and friends had started wondering if I was crazy. They saw me wasting money needlessly on items that could have or should have just been bought at Best Buy for a less than $1K.

My view was hey, 1) it's my $$$, 2) I work my ass off, 3) it's a hobby, 4) in these days and times and in this economy it helps relax me. They don't get the emotional connection I have to the music and movies or the peace and sense of calm this hobby provides. I enjoy it. And hey, isn't 3.5 years to assemble the system I have a long time? At least compared to some of you guys it must be.

Anyway so now I kinda just keep my mouth shut.

The last thing I did related to this hobby that no one thought was crazy was I had a BBQ for a bunch of audiophile/videophile people that I know. About 20 like-minded dealers and hobbyists showed up. One gentleman even drove from out-of-state to attend. That was fun too.

So that's how I cope.
The best way to cope is never let your wife meet your girlfriend. Things stay much safer that way!!!
Nothing is better than looking at the sunset with good music.
Thats why my GF loves good sound quality.
Iv'e never been questioned over an audio purchase . We each have are own passions .
The better half , or is it two thirds , has two high end cars in the garage , I have a ten year old Grand Cherokee in the drive way .